We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 days in USA with 7 month baby

melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Hello there!

We are doing a. 3 week holiday in USA arrivin in NYC with our 7 month old bub.

We will be stayin with friends in NYC and NJ.

We need some ideas where to go in NYC plus which cities to visit in 3 weeks.

I was thinking of doing Washington DC , San Francisco and maybe Chicago but not sure of its too much to travel and do with a 7 month old.

My wife and I went 4 years ago to Vegas Miami and LA.

We leave on 24th march! We are open to suggestions and haven't booked anything except air tickets from Australia to NYC. :)

Looking forward to your ideas.

Thanks heaps.

Cheers

karan

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Have you booked a return flight into/out of NYC? If so I wouldn't visit any if the West Coast.

Washington and Boston are easy to visit from NYC via Amtrak train if you're interested in them.

melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Hi there. Yes our arrival and departure is from NYC. Are you sayin no to west as its a long 6 hr flight?

Do you have experience with business class seats in American Airlines? Are they worth it?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,662 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Do you travel light, or not? Are you traveling with a car seat for the baby?

I have a 9-month-old, and I prefer to stick to places that have public transit so I don't have to deal with car seats. But I travel light, and not everyone does. If you'd rather stick with places that you'd travel to and between by car, or if you'd rather stick with public transport, that will change the recommendations. If you're going to travel by car, you'll need an American car seat.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Yeah I'd say no to the West coast due to the flight time - you lose half a day going over there and then an entire day coming back in the air (obviously both 6hr flights but also taking into account the time difference) and it's a lot of flying to go back and forth. But that's just how I would feel about it, and I don't also have a baby to consider!

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

How about heading south? You could fly or take the train to Charleston, SC or maybe down to Florida for a little warm weather and sunshine! You would be on the same time zone so no worries about adjusting or the baby adjusting to that. Charleston is a beautiful city with lots of good food & interesting things to do. You'd get a totally different vibe from NYC or Washington, DC.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

It's a shame you've booked in and out of NYC as stopping on the west coast both coming and going would help ease the jet lag but it makes no sense to spend time and money flying west to come back east. I'd concentrate on the middle to east so maybe yes, if you want to go to Chicago. But honestly, we know nothing about you and your family so how can we possibly give advice? Do you prefer cities? Do you plan on driving at all? You talk about business class. Does that mean you're not on a particularly tight budget or do you think you can upgrade with airmiles? I can tell you you won't be very popular with other business class travelers with a baby. I would consider NYC, Washington DC., Charleston South Carolina and then Savannah, GA especially if you're willing to drive part of the trip.You can fly or take the train to Washington, then drive south from Washington. If you prefer big cities, do Washington and Chicago or Boston.

http://goo.gl/maps/aPvmv

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Have you travelled with the baby before? Is s/he a good traveller? I have two kids. My oldest didn't do well sleeping outside his own environment. At 7-9 months it took at least two nights for him to adjust, and that was within the SAME time zone. My other child didn't care where she was, she'd sleep anywhere.

I agree with those who say to stick to the eastern half of the country. How many destinations you include may depend on the baby.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,922 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Before you consider business--make sure that they allow infants. Not every airline does!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,662 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Also, as someone who flies frequently with a baby, I'd always prefer three seats in coach with a car seat to two seats in business.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20 days in USA with 7 month baby

Business class seats on AA's domestic flights are worth it IF the price difference is not huge. You'll get a bigger seat, more legroom, and a free semi-edible meal/snack. You'll have room for your carry-on in the overhead bins (they won't fill up by the time the flight is half full like they do in economy) and you'll be able to check your larger bags for free. But the seats have a pretty small recline and there aren't any great perks or amenities (entertainment system, etc).

I've seen nicer economy plus on international airlines than what I've seen in first class on AA, even flying as far as NYC to California and Hawaii. International AA flights may have a more plush business class; I don't know because we never fly US-based carriers overseas.

Are you looking at two bulkhead seats with a basinet? With a 7-month-old, that seems the way to go. :)

I agree with all the other about not visiting the West Coast on this trip if you're flying into and out of NYC. But if you have business class tickets, it should be easy to change your arrival or departure to San Francisco.

You say you're staying with friends in NYC and NJ...don't know where exactly or for how long in each place, but I would suggest doing the NYC sights while staying in NYC and then from NJ going to Philly and DC. But you could easily go to any of the places mentioned above (Charleston, Savannah, Florida, Boston, Chicago, etc)...depending, as the others have said, on your interests, your baby, and your mode of transport.