We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

Hi all

We are looking at hotels with ideally 2 beds in a room for a 5 or 6 night stay in mid December.This trip is our first time in the US we want to do some Christmas shopping, go ice skating etc and see the main sites. I have found the above 3 and the reviews seem good for all of them.

I think our budget is a maximum of 300 dollars per night for the room ideally including taxes.

Would anyone recommend one over the other in terms of:

value for money

ease of eating out especially breakfast

shopping in the area

closeness to the subway

Cheers

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

These are 3 totally different areas but there's shopping in each of them so it really depends on what kind of shopping you want. How many of you in the room? I ask because I think if there are say 4 women, there are other hotels that would have rooms with 2 queen beds rather than the doubles you'll get at these that would be more comfortable. Have you been to NYC before? Do you know these areas? Have you picked exact dates? Are you aware later in Dec. is cheaper than early in the month? Help us help you. The Courtyard is the newest building of the 3, but there are sooooo many other hotels besides these. How did you pick them?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

Sorry, I now see youve never been to the US. Doesn't really change my comments but the New Yorker is the more typical location for a first time visit but the other locations will be much saner at that very busy time of year. I'm not a big fan of the New Yorker (old, small bathrooms, big) , but lots of tourists like it for proximty to main st. shopping like Macy's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

..that's a very good point;-) Are you looking to stay in a busier/touristy area.. as oppossed to more of a neighborhood?;-) I live on the UWS and you can rest assured you won't fall short of loads of restaurants.. breakfast places in the area around the Lucerne.. you've also got the subway on the corner barely a block away! It's a wonderful nabe with both Riverside and Central Parks in either direction.. yet as close as it gets if looking to head to mid-downtown with lots walkable to include Lincoln Center, The Museum of Natural History.. Columbus Circle.. if you're walkers, piece of cake to continue on to Times Square/theater district! Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

I'm big on The Lucerne. Great neighborhood, easy access to subway and Central Park. Very good breakfasts at retaurant next door

5. Re: Hotel Lucerne, New Yorker or Courtyard manhattan/soho

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 05:17