We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

Hi,

We are a little over 3 weeks away from our trip to NYC to see Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival!

We are coming from Cornwall, Ontario and are thinking about trying to avoid driving into NYC and paying for parking. We are staying at the New Yorker Hotel, across from MSG and Penn Station.

Would it be a good idea for us to drive to the Albany Amtrak station (about 4 hours from Cornwall) and take the train to Penn Station?

It looks like it would cost about $160 for the 2 of us return? The price of parking for 3 nights in NYC looks to be about $120, plus I think we are saving on some of the tolls on the roads and tunnel into the city?

Does anyone know the cost for parking at the Amtrak station in Albany ~ I can't see to find it on their website.

So does this make sense or should we just bite the bullet and drive into the city.

Many thanks for any help. Happy St Patrick's Day!

Jo

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

And saving on the gas assuming its not a long way out of your way?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

It doesn't indicate how many overnight spaces they have or the price. I'd try phoning.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

I found this, but I'm not sure if it's the same station that Amtrak uses.

cdta.org/rider_guide_connecting_rail_renssel…

For less money than Amtrak, you could also drive to a Metro North station that has overnight parking. Wasaic is the nearest to Albany but it doesn't look like there's overnight parking right at the station. Click on the name of a station on the map and it gives you info about that station.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
641 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

The parking right now for the Albany/Rensselaer station is $10 per day for a covered garage and $6 for a surface lot but I think it's going up a dollar or two on April 1.

Here are a couple of links for discounted fares so see what's available for your dates:

amtrak.com/companion-fare-discount-celebrati…

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

Thanks guys! I'll look into both options and see which one makes more sense for us.

Yes, we will also save on gas, but I think the best reason to go with this is to avoid the stress and yelling that will probably ensue as we try to maneuver into Manhattan :)

Jo

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
641 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

I just saw the link that nywhiz posted and those are the correct prices for the parking lots at the Albany/Rensselaer station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

If you do this trip, try to sit on right hand side of the train on the way into NYC so you can have the nice views of the Hudson River.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

Definitely take the train from Albany, it's a beautiful trip, stress-free, and parking at the Albany train station is cheap!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

I think we will definitely do this. Parking is reasonable (thanks, NY Whiz) and Audreydoll just saved me about $35 with the discount link. Thanks everyone, this is awesome and I think it may save our marriage, lol (or at least our mood for the first day of the trip!)

Jo

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

Do your 3 nights include a weekend?

You could take the Metro North from Beacon.

The weekend parking is free, though there is no covered parking/garage, as there is in Poughkeepsie.

http://www.rrparking.com/parking_lots

I usually prefer arriving to Grand Central on Metro North, and the fare is less expensive than Amtrak.

Oops! Just saw your recent post. Great decision!

Edited: 17 March 2013, 16:16
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak from Albany to Penn Station ~ good idea?

Done! $129 return from Albany ~ we get into NYC at 1:50pm on Thursday (about the time we would have driven in, without the stress, lol) and we leave Penn at 10:20 am on Sunday morning. Perfect times for us. We can still do out outlet shopping in Lake George on the way home ~ win/win!

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the help.

Eric, here we come!!

Jo