We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nyc to binghamton

new jersey
Level Contributor
975 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
nyc to binghamton

I am driving to binghamton tomorrow morning around 8 am - supposed to be lousy weather tonight into tomorrow. I would ordinarily take 87 to 17, but how is 17 in the snow? Is it better in bad weather to take 84 to 81?

thanks

stuckinnj

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nyc to binghamton

Living rite near Route 17, I would say you should try and avoid it if at all possible. Based on the weather predictions (as of now), you should try to take and/or stay south as long as possible. If you are in New Jersey, I would go Route 80 to 81. Be Safe.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nyc to binghamton

Having traveled NJ to Binghamton far too many times, I'd say go Rt. 80 to 380, take 380 north to the Scranton area, where you can pick up 81 north to Binghamton. Far quicker than the Rt. 17 way, and probably better in the snow.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nyc to binghamton

Are you coming from nyc or new jersey?

new jersey
Level Contributor
975 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nyc to binghamton

I decided to stick to 17 - I scrapped the little rental and changed to a four wheel drive - good call - it was white knuckle driving from the Roscoe diner for about an hour and a half, one lane, real slick, no fun at all.

didnt see a single plow going my way, but several headed the opposite direction.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nyc to binghamton

its snowing up there?

new jersey
Level Contributor
975 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nyc to binghamton

In march it was - just following up on post

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,757 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nyc to binghamton

BTW--even though we are talking March--4 wheel drive vehicles go over snow better BUT they skid as much as a regular vehicle and they take just as long to stop!

8. Re: nyc to binghamton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17