We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

brisbane
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advise as I've been looking around but don't seem to have much answers to my questions. We're planning a trip to the US in April and will be in NYC for 7 days. This will be the first time for us in the USA. We're a group of 4 adults and 2 kids (aged 3yrs old and 4months old).

Any recommendations for accommodation?

A rough Itinerary:

- Day 1: Arrive, relax, Rockerfella Centre - top of the rocks obseravtion deck

- Day 2: Statue of Liberty, Straten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Broadway

- Day 3: Central Park and Central park zoo

- Day 4: Empire state building, New York Library, Grand central station, Times square, Madison Square Park

- Day 5: Niagara Falls (overnight)

- Day 6: Arrive back from Niagara Falls

- Day 7: Relax, 5th avenue, Shopping

- Day 8: Check out and fly out

Is this realistic (keeping in mind the two young ones in tow)? Since it is a family holiday with very young kids, we wanted to take it a bit easy and not run around mad doing ALL the "must do's" but also not miss out either (since we'll be flying half way around the globe to visit).

I'd be very interested to hear any advice with regards to this as I feel quite overwhelmed with the sheer amount of information out there but nothing for my specific situation I feel.

Thank you

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Aside from your embarrassing spelling mistakes (Rockefeller Center, Staten Island) I think you're being too ambitious with a three year old. (The 4-month-old is basically a package, you can take it wherever, just strap it on and go.)

I would kill that horrible Niagara Falls day trip. It's going to be a lot of dragging the kid around on long lines at the airport, taxis, buses, et al, and the kid will be whiny and tired and sad. It's nowhere near worth it, not in the least. If you want to take a day trip out of the city, just take a train to Philadelphia or let her run crazy at Dia:Beacon at something. If you can survive not leaving the city, take her down to the science museum or something.

I'd probably also kill the Empire State Building. Not worth it with the 3-year-old, horrible waiting time on the lines. But that's much less of an issue than that Niagara Falls misery.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Looking at your itinerary. First of all, the Statue of LIberty is closed to visitors. The dock area was destroyed during Sandy and they have not yet completed repairs.

When you write, "Broadway" are you going to see or do you want to take in a show. You are not going to be able to take your kids into a Broadway show. Babies and 3 year olds are not allowed.

Day 4 is all over the place.

Generally speaking, you have, IMO written an itinerary that does not take into account that you are traveling with two children who need attention, food and naps. The infant doesn't care where he/she is ( but may remain on an internal Australian clock for days) The three year old will be very verbal when bored and tired of being dragged around. Don't forget--even if you are pushing him/her in a stroller--the NYC world at knee height, in all the crowds is boring and intimidating!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

I agree a huge trip to Niagara Falls is going to be awful. Plus April at the falls can be very, very cold.

I would add in some parks and playtime. Slowing things down will make it way more fun. NYC is very, very busy and that alone can be exhausting with kids. You need to factor in baby feeds and changes too, not many public bathrooms, so plan ahead for that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Read this trip report from someone with kids similar age. It was in August when weather is different but you need to redo all your planning imo as others have said.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3839128…

brisbane
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I thought that the Niagara falls was going to be too ambitious, it's such an amazing piece of nature though.. alright, so Niagara Falls is off the list. I think Broadway is off the list too until I've spoken with my parent (who are the other 2 adults coming on this trip) to work out if they'd like to take turns seeing a show and minding the kids.. I suppose I listed all the things I wanted to do but of course we'll only be doing as much as we can with the kids in tow.

nywhiz... that trip report's awesome! Thank you so much for that!.. I've based my new itinerary heavily on it

Here's the new itinerary (with correct spelling):

- Day 1: Arrive, relax

- Day 2: Central Park and Central park zoo, FAO Schwartz

- Day 3: Grand central station, Chrysler Building, New York Library, Bryant Park, Times Square/Toys R Us, Rockefeller Center/TOTR, Madison Square Park

- Day 4: Nelson Rockefeller Playground, World Trade Center, 911 memorial, Staten Island Ferry, Chinatown/Little Italy, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory

- Day 5: Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Brooklyn Children's Museum, ?Prospect Park Zoo

- Day 6: Union square Greenmarket, Greenwich VIllage, Bleeker Park, Chelsea market, Il Laboratorio Gelato

- Day 7: Relax, 5th avenue, Shopping

- Day 8: Check out, Fly out

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

It's a lot better. Have you booked a hotel yet? If you need help, post back with a budget and clarify sleeping arrangements. The hotel used by the people in the trip report is no longer here (well, it is but no longer as family friendly). if you can find room at the

Beaconhotel.com

That's what I'd recommend. They do have 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites but you need to phone or email for pricing.

brisbane
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Hi nywhiz,

Thank you. Yes I'm currently researching accommodation. We're a group of 4 adults and 2 kids (3yo & 4mo) so we're looking for at least a suite type hotel accommodating 5 + baby in crib. I had a look at the Beacon Hotel, I've sent them an email. We'll see what the response is.

2 bedroom suites would suit us best. We'd like to keep the budget to about $500/night for the 2 bedroom suites, and hopefully not going to be too much over $300/night if we have to get 2 separate rooms.

One that I was looking at is the Skyline Hotel, they have a Family Suite that can fit 5 people + 1 crib. Also The G Suites have a 2 bedroom suite. Have you heard of these establishments and their reputations?

Thank you for such fast responses.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

Also if you are going with another couple you can split up and have two parallel itineraries, so the childless couple can run at a more adult pace than the family. Very easy to do in NYC and you will be able to meet up along the way.

A holiday with tiny children can look very different than an adult one, but chances are you can make the trip work so that all of you have a good time.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 16:09
9. Re: 7 day trip to NYC with babes in tow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:17