We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

We have booked our tickets to see Lucky Guy in June and would like to have a pre-theatre dinner before the show. Initially I was thinking of Sardi's because it's right across the road and it seems like a good option as far as tourists go but would really like some other suggestions. This will be our last night before we go back to Australia and would really love our last evening to be something special. We enjoy all cuisines but tend to lean towards Italian and we are prepared to pay around $75 per head not including drinks. Thanks

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

Well, you have "red sauce" American Italian galore in the area including Sardis, Becco, Carmine's, Tricolori. All pretty popular with tourists and pre-theatre diners.

But personally, I would venture out just a little bit to Il Melograno on 10th and 52nd. Fresh homemade pasta, gnocchi, ravioli. Owner from Brescia Italy, opened the place not too long ago, brought nice northern Italian specialties like the pappardelle with sausage and truffle oil (very good) and nice veal ravioli.

It's a small trattoria, well priced well within your range and the only authentic Italian in the area as far as I'm concerned. Except perhaps for pizza at Don Antonio

For something more special and memorable head to Marea (short cab ride) but that could be a little bit above your range

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

If you do plan to dine in the area, then of the first 4 restaurants ziggy mentions I'd choose either Becco, or Carmines............Carmines serves their dishes on "Family-style" platters, so you choose your own portion....I like that option myself....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

I haven't been, but La Masseria gets very good reviews and is a bit closer than Melograno or Marea.

http://www.lamasserianyc.com/

www.menupages.com/restaurants/la-masseria/

Map

http://goo.gl/maps/QnO1C

Ai Fiori is another idea.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/ai-fiori/

http://goo.gl/maps/RdyF3

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

We recently had a pre-theater dinner at Becco and I would definitely recommend it! I've not eaten at Carmines but have eaten at Tony D'Napoli and I definitely preferred Becco! I'm not much of a "foodie" as far as eating strange or fancy food, so the food at Becco suited me just fine!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

I was slightly disappointed by La Masseria (great location), not because of the food, but because of the "value". And I had to demand the Restaurant Week menu (last year.) I felt a little taken-advantage of.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

I agree with NYWhizz, La masseria, was good to us on the 12th march (Read my review) you could probably reach out and touch your theatre from the restaurant.

7. Re: Pre-theatre restaurant suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 05:16