We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Greek Restaurant

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Greek Restaurant

We will be in NY city for Greek Easter and were looking for suggestions for a good Greek restaurant. Naturally a restaurant offering good food and atmosphere is what our group of 4 are targeting. All ideas welcomed.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

Estiatorio Milos. Not gonna find better octopus than in this one

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

I like Avra Estiatorio:

http://avrany.com/index.html

Edited: 22 March 2013, 11:50
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

There are loads of options. Do you want something fancy or more down home? There's a large Greek community in Queens (Astoria) and there are a lot of Greek restaurants there that are quite authentic. There are plenty in Manhattan too, some fancier than others. In Manhattan, Beyoglu, Molyvos, Pylos and Kefi are all very good. I've also noticed a new place called Meli on 35 st. that looks very nice. Look for details on menupages.com

We have a regular poster Litsa who is of Greek extraction who should have some good info. I know she likes Kefi in the neighborhood where she lives (upper west side).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

Sorry, didn't see the other posts before I posted. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

Hey themayor101:-) Astoria is the place to go for some great Greek fare.. if looking to stay in Manhattan, one of my faves is accurately mentioned.. Kefi.. on the UWS close to the Museum of Natural History;-) I haven't checked out Meli yet and as far as Milos goes, although it's about the priciest around, they ship their fish direct from Greece and price is calculated via weight.. like they do in Greece;-) I've only sat at the bar there and had some mezes (apps) and wine.. the Milos at the Athens Hilton is wonderful.. if anyone happens to be in the neighborhood;-)

Another personal favorite is www.kellari.us/ I think this is one of the best and usually go there if heading to the theater.. am in area;-) A relatively newer place.. www.loirestaurant.com/ is excellent as well.. pricey.. lovely surroundings and super attentive service! Am sure most will have traditional lamb on the menu for Easter Sunday on May 5th;-) EnJOY!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

Thankyou Litsa, NY whiz, Frangipani7 and Ziggy60. some great suggestions no doubt and plenty there for us to research and book ahead of time. Greatly appreciate the trouble you have gone to here.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
110 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

My favorite Greek restaurant by far is Pylos in Village. I used to like Molyvos, but Pylos is warmer, cozier, and more modern. Plus the service is better.Still love Molyvos' moussaka though. If you have a chance, check out the reviews for Pylos.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

Greek restaurants can book heavily for Orthodox Easter, so make a reservation. The Saturday-midnight meal at Estiatorio Milos (very expensive, grills on the sidewalk [probably illegal]) regularly sells out. I suspect that the Sunday night meal (where I have eaten more than once) may be left over, because it hasn't been the best lamb I've ever had.

I haven't had Easter Dinner at Loi, which is near Lincoln Center. But she's apparently a celebrity chef.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

You're welcome themayor101:-) And yes, obsoperator, Maria Loi is known as the Greek 'Martha Stewart', lol! Believe she also had a roast going outside the restaurant last Easter.. and think it was on a Sunday which is the traditional day for lamb.. the night before on Saturday.. actually Sunday morning after midnight resurrection mass, a soup called 'magiritsa' is the classic most households serve when heading home.. some of the Greek tavernas/restaurants in Astoria staying open late do offer it as well;-) Keep enjoyin'!

10. Re: Recommended Greek Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16