We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese food in NYC

Weslaco, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Chinese food in NYC

Hello, my brother and I will be visiting NYC in a couple of weeks and we're looking to try some authentic Chinese food. What are your recommendations? We are willing to travel to any part of Manhattan for this meal. Budget is $40 per person. Hoping for a nice little restaurant where we can sit and eat.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese food in NYC

Not Queens?

Flushing is the best neighborhood in NYC for Chinese food and has a ton of great options.

My two favorite little sit down places are Spicy & Tasty at 39th Avenue and Prince Street, and Hunan Kitchen of Grand Szechwan on Main Street south of Sanford. But if you really want to try a lot of Chinese tastes, you have to go for the food malls, which are big, very Chinese food courts in the basement of several minimalls in Flushing.

It's all very easily accessible on the 7 train.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese food in NYC

China has different types of regional cuisines and different places specialize in different types, or even specific foods from that cuisine (such as noodles and dumplings).

This blog talks about some of the different types and good NYC restaurants for them: …eater.com/archives/2011/11/a_snobs_guide_ch…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese food in NYC

For a real New York Chinatown experience, Wo Hop, 17 Mott Street (Downstairs restaurant)

http://wohopnyc.com/default.aspx

Edited: 22 March 2013, 22:43
NYC
Level Contributor
129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese food in NYC

Dim sum at dim sum a go go, in Chinatown , great for breakfast at about $15 a person

Weslaco, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese food in NYC

Thank you all for your responses!!! I will definitely try at least two of the recommendations!!

Weslaco, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese food in NYC

Thank you all for your responses!!! I will definitely try at least two of the recommendations!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese food in NYC

Born and raised in Man. Family tradition was to go to Chinatown almost every Sunday. Walk along Mott Street the heart. Look into the windows of the many many restaurants. If you see locals eating, that is the place to go. Happy travels!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese food in NYC

If you like Sichuan style Chinese food, then I recommend Szechuan Gourmet. Lots of authentic items on the menu plus good, reasonably priced food!

menupages.com/restaurants/szechuan-gourmet/

9. Re: Chinese food in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 04:35
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese food in NYC

Second Szechuan Gourmet. There's one on 56th and 8th. Perhaps the only affordable authentic Chinese in midtown