We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pizza Tours

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pizza Tours

Any recommendations? Are they worth the time/money?

Thanks,

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pizza Tours

There is pizza all over the city. In so many varieties, And almost all of it is good. I do not know why you would need a formal tour to check places out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pizza Tours

There are actually tours like the Brooklyn City Pizza tour that tours Brooklyn an you have 2 pizza stops on a 4.5 hour tour. They actually show movie locations etc - that was more the feedback as to value I was looking for - did you enjoy the tour, etc?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pizza Tours

There are 2 I know of, Scott's Pizza tour which is in NYC and the Brooklyn Pizza tour in..you guessed it, Brooklyn. I've never done either, but the reviews on both have been very positive and I think the idea of getting to see a number of different areas in Brooklyn (including Coney Island) is a good one. As Mel says, you can also create your own. There are whole websites devoted to pizza. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pizza Tours

PS, it seems to me one major advantage of a tour is some of the best pizza places ONLY serve whole pies. Going with a group gets you a tasting of a number of different pie only places, something you can't do on your own unless you're in a large group yourself or a large family.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pizza Tours

Whiz points out something important here. In NYC, many of the better places to get pizza only sell by the pie. So, you need a couple of people or need to be REALLY hungry. But, there are also great places that sell pizza by the slice, places like L&B Spumoni Gardens or Difaros. And of course there is the gloppy cheesy mess of a slice at Rays in the Village.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pizza Tours

I recently took a great pizza tour with a company where the tour is offered for free ( though its standard to give the guides an appropriate tip). Its a cool idea because its disappointing when you pay a lot for a tour up front and dont like it! So this 'name your own price' idea seemed like a safe bet.

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/…

What I liked about this tour was:

1) it was led by a Native New Yorker who has tried just about every pizza in the city so i trusted we were going to good places.

2) the tour visits 3 pizzerias and you decide what you want to taste -the guide of course makes recommendations. This is good if there are some foods you dont like, so you have options.

3) the tour was a mix of eating, learning some history of pizza, and some history of the neighborhood we were in (Greenwich Vilage)

4) we didn’t have to buy a ticket up-front. You make a reservation, take the tour, choose what to order and how much to spend, and if you like the tour, (you will, Im pretty sure), you tip the guide what you think the tour was worth. My friend and i split slices-its a ltof food! So we each paid $5 for food and then we each tipped our guide $10. For a grand total of $15 per person incl food. This is at leat HALF the price of the big pizza tour companies. Check it out. freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/…

They offer a lot of other tours too, also what they call “name-your-own-price”. Im gonna check some of those out as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pizza Tours

Thank you - I will check this out - it sounds like a great option. Approximately how long are the tours?

south
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pizza Tours

We have done the Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour and really enjoyed it--it gave us a chance to see Brooklyn. We had only previously been to River Cafe just inside Brooklyn at the bridge. The pizza was good but the highlight for us was touring Brooklyn.

9. Re: Pizza Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:17