We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

I'm taking my 19yo son to NYC for the first time at the end of May. I'd love to expose him to all that the city has to offer - including the fun, out-there, entertaining, something-you-only-see-in-NYC kind of places. Any suggestions on places to take him? He loves music (rock and rap). I'd love to know of any fun places to dine also. We will be staying by Times Square. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Sleep no more.

Upright Citizens Brigade Comedy Club.

Café Wha.

All three are great and not aimed at children, they allow them though. Sleep no more is 16 and up I believe.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Excellent ideas. Thank you bogwoppit!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,680 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Take a look at TimeOut New York before your arrival to see what's on that he might enjoy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

The Moth....story telling slam...here are the dates for May in NYC... themoth.org/events?category=32&month=2013-05

'Up where we Belong'. A wonderful exhibition that highlights Native people who have been active participants in contemporary music for nearly a century..at the National Museum of the American Indian (downtown) till mid August

staten island
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

He may enjoy walking around the Lower East Side.

Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

I second the Upright Citizens Brigade-- I've visited with my three teens on three different occassions, most recently this past Wednesday night with my 19 year old niece. Our dinner in the Lower East Side ran late so we ended up attending an 11:00 variety show rather than 9:30 show that we had reserved tickets for-- it was great and it was FREE!!! The early evening long improv show is also a gift -- tix are a painless $10 for that show where you might get lucky enough to sit 10 feet away from comic actors from 30 Rock and The Office performing there. We did- twice! http://newyork.ucbtheatre.com/

I think my oldest may have been 19 when we had dinner at Ninja (I believe in Tribeca) -- he loved it as did my two younger kids. They also love the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian hotel-- look for the very hard to find small neon burger sign next to the big black velvet curtain in the south lobby of the hotel. http://www.ninjanewyork.com/

Look out for a museum exhibit that might speak to their interests-- each of the museums webpages will have a current exhibitions page that you can easily browse for your trip dates. A few years ago we caught a Tim Burton exhibit at MOMA that interested both my boys-- home run!!

I'd definitely recommend a show, as well. Maybe a musical like Book of Mormon (expensive and elusive tix) or Avenue Q (less expensive Off-Broadway show that did earn a Tony in its earlier Broadway run). Or Fuerza Bruta-- theater that's in a concert-like atmosphere-- still on our one-day list. . . http://www.fuerzabrutanyc.com/

Maybe a walk down St. Mark's Place in the East Village-- funky shops that are reminiscent of the NYC's edgy punk rock scene.

Leave room for unexpected surprises-- there is no way you'll be able to anticipate all you can possibly do so be flexible. Yesterday, for example, we were walking through Times Square when my niece was reminded that the book and HBO series "Game of Thrones" was opening a short-running costume and prop exhibit on East 57th St between 5th and 6th. Because she's a HUGE fan, we scrapped our walk in Central Park (the drizzle made the decision an easy one) and instead waited the 1.5+ hours to get into the exhibit-- she was thrilled. During a visit a couple years ago, we had a planned way ahead for a good italian dinner at Tony's when, while leaving our hotel for dinner, we walked out the side door and into the setup for Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible movie premier! My kids wolfed down their dinner as fast as they could, leaving my husband behind to finish up more leisurely while they bolted back to the hotel to watch from from just 20 feet away stars including Tom Cruise, Director JJ Abrahms, and (their favorite) Josh Halloway (from Lost) smile and pose forever for the paparazzi. Both wonderful front row, surprises that were certainly important enough to scrap carefully made plans for. . .

But have fun planning, just the same and get him involved as much a possible. Shoot him website links as you go or better yet assign him the task of researching a show or dinner out. The surfing is certainly addtictive and, in my opinion, half the fun!!

I look forward to learning new tips from you after you return!

Mentioned in this post
Burger Joint
Burger Joint
399 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Thank you all for these wonderful suggestions. I am so appreciative....Thank you!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

How late in May? If you will be here in the 18th/19th, maybe try to get tickets for the Great GoogaMooga in Prospect Park. Tickets are free...however, you need to register starting tomorrow for the raffle. On Sunday(19th), De La Soul will be performing(top notch hip-hop.)

http://brooklyn.googamooga.com/

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Unfortunately that won't work. We are arriving the 25th and leaving the 30th, so we will be around for the Memorial Day holiday. I didn't even realize that until after the tickets were booked-I was working around his college break. So if there are any holiday events I'd love to hear of them too. All I'm seeing is 'Fleet Week', and I'm not sure either of us wants to stand in lines to see ships :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC entertainment & restaurants for 19yo son

Show him TONY a week before your trip and see if he sees something that he wants to see/do:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork