We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

If I (female) and my 19 year old daughter were going to visit NYC for the first time, probably Manhattan, then where would be a great place to stay that would be, first and foremost, safe, reasonable (by NYC standards, I know prices are high there), and close to some of the well known attractions such as museums, Central Park, etc.? We live in SE Michigan and have visited some large cities and stayed in the heart of them (Atlanta, Philly, LA), but NYC still seems a bit daunting and I don't even know where to begin. I read the sticky threads at the top of this forum, but I still don't know what part of the city to narrow in on.

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Best way to start is posting the exact dates of your trip and your budget per night in US Dollars .

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Good point, but at this time we are just knocking the idea around and don't have a definite date yet. Budget? Mmm...I would like to say not more than $150/night, but I'm afraid I would be disappointed, so maybe up to but not more than $200/night.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,335 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

General time of year? Do you need two beds or can you share one?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Probably summer, and I think we could share a bed if we needed to.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Hotel prices in Manhattan tend to start at $200/night for a room for 2 with one bed (queen or king). There are sales on websites like

travelzoo.com

and if you use websites like Hotwire or Priceline (which only guarantees one bed for 2 bed in NYC) you can find deals under $200, especially for a short visit (long weekend). Early July and late August are the best times for finding bargains.

Now to your original question; because price dictates so much, I usually say first find hotels that fit your budget with sleeping arrangements you need and then start narrowing options based on location. Any place in Manhattan near a subway stattion is going to be good. If I was forced to select an area, I'd say the west 50's is the most convenient overall....

Blakelyhotelny.com

is a small traditional hotel...all rooms have kitchenette, they include a light breakfast and it feels a bit like a club rather than a hotel. Not glamorous but convenient. They often run sales on travelzoo for summer. They don't have any outdoor space or some of the flashy amenities of the newer hotels. The Distrikt is a less attractive location but still convenient and has more of the bells and whistles. I use

kayak.com

quikbook.com

for shopping hotel prices.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Thanks, nywhiz, I really appreciate the information and I will look into it. : )

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Luckily you are talking about a time of year when lower hotel rates can be found. January and February (too darn cold) and July and August (excellent) are when you find lower rates.

It seems that despite the delightful weather in July and August (bear in mind I like hot weather and I am not at all bothered by humidity), most people prefer to go to the beach and the city isn't packed with tourists quite to the extent it is March - June and September - December.

If you can't find anything in your price range, Long Island City (Queens) is an excellent option. There are some great new hotels like the brand new Fairfield Inn by Marriott on 40th Road (not the one on Van Dam St.) and a whole host of others including a Sheraton, new Holiday Inn, Country Inn, Comfort Inn, Verve, etc. All are very good, very safe area, very good access to the subways which are safe and frequent with 24 hour service. Let me repeat, Long Island City and the subway is extremely safe so you don't need to navigate away from this good opportunity to save money thinking, hmm, I don't know, it may not be as safe as Manhattan. Tens of thousands of visitors from all over the world are staying in Long Island City, saving money, five minutes from Bloomingdales on the subway, and they're writing excellent reviews of the hotels.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Thanks, I'll look into LIC. I've never even heard of it, although, obviously, I have heard of Queens. We would kind of like to explore part of LI anyway, so that would be good.

Thanks again! : )

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Long Island City (Queens) is directly opposite the east side of Manhattan. It is just across the East River. The subway station at Queensboro Plaza is served by the N, the Q, and the 7 trains. The next stop on the N & Q is Bloomingdales, second stop is Central Park and the 24 hour Apple store and FAO Schwartz (sp?), steps from Tiffany, etc. Third stop is Carnegie Hall, the fourth stop is the north side of Times Square and the fifth stop is the main Times Square station. The 7 train makes its fourth stop Grand Central, fifth stop is Bryant Park and the sixth stop is the last stop - the main Times Square station.

Long Island City shouldn't be confused with Long Island. When you say Long Island, you are talking more about the Hamptons, Fire Island, Roosevelt Field shopping center, historic things in Oyster Bay NY, the wine region on the North Fork, these places are all much much further east. People refer to Nassau and Suffolk Counties as "Long Island." Long Island City is Queens. If you want to get technical, it is all part of the same landmass that makes up Long Island and that may be how Long Island City got its name but Long Island City is Queens (directly opposite Manhattan) and shouldn't be confused with places like the Hamptons 100 miles to the east.

I hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe , Reasonable, and Close to Attractions

Note that Long Island and Long Island City are *not* the same thing.