We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

I've read in the weather pages that July and August is best to be avoided when going to NYC because of the heat and humidity. It ranges from 67F to 82F (19C to 27C). This doesn't appear to be very hot given we have many days in Sydney where its close to 104F (40C) during the Summer. We are quite humid as well. But the pages does indicate its quite uncomfortable during that time.

I was wondering whether someone from Sydney can give some advice on weather end of July early August in NYC as a comparison so I can put some perspective on what to expect and whether it will be tolerable for me.

I plan to do a lot of walking so getting quite nervous about whether to go or not.

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

Just to also add, I've been to Singapore and the weather there is quite hot and humid too, how does NYC compare?

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

I'm not from Sydney but my guess is that with subway and density of the population it could lead to people feeling that is too much- but I love NYC in the summer.

Just some of the many things I like about it is- You can:

A) take day trips to Fire Island (Beaches) on LIRR (Long Island Rail Road)from Penn Station -

B) you can rent a row boat at the central park boat house & picinic on the lake,

C) the city has free kayaking on the Hudson with beautiful views &

d) there are tons of free summer concerts (Summerstage, River to River, Free Williamsburg, Celebrate Brooklyn...)- &

e) you also have many more rooftop & alfresco dining options-

I guess it is a matter of taste.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 05:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

If you are trying to compare the temperature and the humidity of the two places...look up the historical data on weather underground...it will only be numbers, not on the ground experiences, but it might help....

http://www.wunderground.com/

Enter location.

Scroll down to History and Almanac (left side of screen)

Choose a date (don't forget to change the Year field or it won't work!!)

Click on the weekly tab ....scroll down to the table that gives you lots of info (some useful, some not so useful!):

Temp. (°C) Dew Point (°C) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (hPa) Visibility (km) Wind (km/h) Precip. (mm) Events

To get information on the next weeks and the previous year/s, scroll up and use the arrows and the date field.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,119 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

Don't forget that with all that concrete and steel in Manhattan the heat can feel much worse as it heats up the pavements and buildings.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

The humidity is ugly. I was there last August and in my mind it's a never again scenario for me.

You have also got to consider that the way you live at home (work, running a house etc) is not what a tourist does. You will be out and about and it is energy sapping.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

I guess if you could handle Singapore, you can handle NYC in the summer (I've never been to Sing, but I have to Hong Kong ...)

as for NYC:

I went first week of July once, it was hot, but doable

2 years ago, I visited end of May and it was hellish humid ....

you just have to be lucky ...

Australia
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

thank you all.

Decisions decisions

I just did a compare of Sydney for the week starting 24 Feb 2013 (we had a hot week) compared to NYC for week starting 22 Jul 2012 and Sydney seemed to be comparable if not worst for temp and humidity. There isn't a "Feels Like" column but i'm thinking it should be pretty comparable should it not?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

Somehow the tall buildings of steel and glass may concentrate the heat and humidity. I don't think you can compare the 2 cities. It is not the best time to visit but plenty of people do. I think I've already said late August is imo much better. Consider that Mez was here then and she still thought it was brutal.

Sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

Hi my wife and I spent 10 dys in NYC last August 14-24 - she hates the heat I like it - we walked 8-9 hour days every day - we carried water but my wife did it pretty easy so I don't think it anywhere near as bad as a lot of people seem to think...that's just our experience for what it's worth.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in end July early August - Sydney sider's opinion?

I'm not from Sydney; I visited once but it was late March and the weather was pretty much perfect. I've been to Singapore a number of times, usually December-January, but once in April. The humidity in NYC in July-August usually isn't quite as bad as Singapore, but it can definitely get sticky. Also, the high and low you found (82 and 67 degrees) - both seem a bit low. Those temperatures would signal a very pleasant July-August. Expect it to go down into the 70s at night, maybe even low 70s, and to be 85-90 degrees during the day. And it can be hotter. As long as you don't melt when it's hot in Sydney, if you aren't miserable in hot weather, you'll be fine in NYC. :)