We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand central terminal entrance

Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grand central terminal entrance

My partner and I will be in NYC in December and plan on using the subway as our main mode of transport. We are staying at the Roosevelt on 45th / Madison ave so are very close to GCT. My question is I have read somewhere there is an entrance via an underground walkway from the Roosevelt to GCT is this true. I have looked at GCT main website and they only list the street entrances so maybe someone can help me out on this one

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

from what i've read, i think this passageway is not for public use. it was used to transfer pres roosevelt from the hotel to train/grand central so he wouldn't be seen in public with his polio condition.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

I agree that it is not public, but I'm pretty sure that the FDR story relates to the Waldorf. There was small train station built there that FDR supposedly used for a private train. However, the station was built decades earlier by the original owner, John Jacob Astor. At least, that's what I remember.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

There's an entrance at 47th & Madison (Northwest Passage) that may only be open on weekdays. But, as you say, you're very close to the main part of the terminal. Just walk east the one short block from the hotel to Vanderbilt Avenue and the side of the station will be right in front of you. Turn right and they'll be an entrance which will be impossible to miss.

Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

Thanks all. I have done a bit more digging and I think from reading reviews of the Roosevelt that the shortcut is in fact through the met life building which is literally just around the corner.

Port Jefferson...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

In 1952 I worked in a florist that was located in the hotel Roosevelt. The name was KOTTMILLERS,

I was a delivery boy. I was 14 years old working part time. I used this passageway all the time between the hotel and grand central station. It was great. I never got wet when it rained. They had shops and food stands and especially cafeterias and nedicks hot dog stands. Good memories.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

Wish I'd known about this when we stayed at the Roosevelt. We loved the hotel, especially its location. Have a great stay!

7. Re: Grand central terminal entrance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:17