We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

Hawaii
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

My three sons, ages 34,34,29 and I will be visiting NYC, May 24-26. I have reserved a room at La Quinta, Long Island City because of the reasonable price and it's somewhat close to a subway stop. Is that a safe area? We may be returning to the hotel late at night.

Can anyone suggest good drinking establishments with craft beers and good food? Those offering happy hour would be a plus. Close to a subway stop would be great.

Also may take in a show; thinking of Avenue Q. Can anyone suggest other shows that my sons and I may enjoy?

We will not have a car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

Avenue Q is great. Highly recommend. Otherwise maybe Rock of Ages? Although I haven't seen it myself, I have heard good things.

That are should be fine. Many people have stayed in LIC and never had a problem returning tot heir hotel late at night.

DBGB Kitchen could be a good place for a meal - lots of meat and beer.

Gingerman has hundreds of beers and is close to Grand Central.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

These days it is hard to find a bar that does NOT have good craft beer. Saturday night my friend and I were in Biercraft in Park Slope drinking Troeggs Coffee Oatmeal Stout. Park Slope and Williamsburg are know for having many bars with great beer. In Manhattan the Ginger Man is a good choice, as is Burp Castle, dba, Peculiar Pub and Blind Tiger Ale House.

If you feel like visiting the Slope, take the R [Union Street] or the 2/3 Bergen Street or the BQ [7th Ave]. Most of the action is on 5th Ave and includes Wolf & Deer, Uncle Barrys, Blueprint, Biercraft [great food], Union Hall [Union Street above 5th], Mission Dolores [4th Ave and Carroll], Loki Lounge and the Gate. Also, lots of food here.

Williamsburg also has a wide selection including three beer gardens, The Brooklyn Brewery [open weekends only], Lorely and Radegast Hall. Plus, numerous bars and food all around.

new york
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

I have stayed in LIC a couple of times and returned to the hotel after midnight. As a solo female I felt perfectly safe. In terms of shows, I would recommend Avenue Q, Rock of Ages or Book of Mormon (tickets are hard to get and expensive for BOM).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

If you're in Long Island City you could just walk to Alewife, that's got a excellent selection.

5. Re: Good craft beer establishments; shows for young men 29-34

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:16