We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

We are staying 9 nights during memorial weekend.

I have booked cancellable rate for both Hampton Inn 35th St and Hyatt Place 36th St. Hyatt is $258/night and Hampton Inn is $245/ night.

Location wise: Both are just a block from each other. The nearest subway is the 34th St Herald Square subway, of which Hampton Inn is nearer.

Both offer free breakfast with the usual complaints such as crowded breakfast area and slow elevators, which aren't major issues for us.

But Hyatt Place is newer, and I think a bigger floor space based on the photos.

Which would you choose? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

Hyatt Place is newer, but really, there is very little to choose between these two options. I personally would prefer staying in a more residential location - this is a very convenient location, but not at all attractive.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

Thanks, kateoz. As our first trip, we thought it would be easier to stay central to where most tourist attractions are, and to find a hotel very close to the subway.

Which neighbourhood would you recommend?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

I have not stayed at these two specific hotels however I have stayed at a lot of Hampton Inn hotels around the United States and a lot of Hyatt Place hotels.

Hyatt Place hotels are more upscale and generally offer more room / space in the guest room. Hampton Inn is part of the Hilton family of hotels and Hampton Inn is really among their most basic offering. Hyatt is more of a luxury chain of hotels and while Hyatt Place is also their more basic offering, there are a few pluses.

Breakfast at Hyatt Place is really a step above breakfast at Hampton Inn. The Hampton Inn breakfast buffer is a very economically done thing with somewhat limited offerings and styrofoam plates and things like that. Hyatt Place has a much nicer breakfast and you'll eat on real plates and with real forks. When I'm on the road for extended periods of time, I think Hyatt Place is much nicer - I know this sounds silly but when I'm away from home for several days or more, the much nicer experience at Hyatt Place really makes a big difference for me. I like Hampton Inn a lot but I find it is more comfortable for shorter stays and Hyatt Place is much more comfortable for longer stays.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

I agree with kateoz. Neither of these hotels nor the area they're in would be my pick for a 9 night stay. If you were only staying for a few days, I could understand wanting to be "central'....but for 9 nights, this is a business district with lots of office buildings and nothing of a neighborhood feel. Since the things you'll want to see are spread out, being near a subway station is really all you need. I also think having breakfast in the hotel is not really necessary. Breakfast is plentiful, cheap and you'll have better food outside a hotel.

I think it would help us help you if you provided your dates, how many people you are, what kind of hotel you like and a budget. I've had a look at prices May 22-31 and they're high. A few places to consider in the meantime:

The Wyndham Garden Inn Chinatown is one option-new hotel, very interesting area and nice rooms and about the same price as what you have or a bit less (look on kayak.com which searches multiple sites). The Hotel Mulberry is also near Chinatown/Little Italy, has nice size rooms, does include breakfast and is a similar price.

If you'd rather be in midtown, ONE UN near the United Nations building is also similarly priced, has great views from all the rooms and a rooftop (enclosed) swimming pool. The Hampton Inn United Nations is also about the same price (has included breakfast), is also new and is in a nicer area although rooms are small..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

Thanks, MF, about the comments on Hyatt Place. I am swaying more towards Hyatt Place now.

NYWhiz, Thanks for the suggestions too. I thought the W 35th street area was good but obviously not so based on your recommendations. Will look through your suggestions.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

What Kateoz and nywhiz are telling you is that the two hotels you are looking at are in a business district that is somewhat devoid of character and charm.

There is a very large luxury residential building at 34th St. and Sixth Avenue and I had a friend that lived there for many years. I always got the impression that a lot of people used the building as a "crash pad" for very high paying New York jobs while they maintained a primary residence too far to commute from. You have Macy's on one side and the Empire State Building on the other side. While that may sound convenient (and it is for a 3 - 4 day visit), you might want something a little less "intense" for a nine night stay.

The Hampton Inn and Hyatt Place are not bad areas. These are very safe areas and they are very accessible to everything but they're just not charming - especially on the weekend.

I'll bet the Washington Square Hotel will be a lot more expensive but it is located in the heart of Greenwich Village. The Hotel Beacon will probably also be more expensive but it is in the heart of the very charming residential Upper West Side easily accessible to the subway and Central Park.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

We thought West 35th Street near Herald Square was great, we stayed 14 nights and loved it, we must be the odd ones then.

It was near to lots of subway lines, walking distance to most of Midtown, lots of shops, I could leave my Husband in the hotel and have a long look around Macy*s, we could walk back down Broadway after the theatre, easy transfer from the Airport via Airtrain/LIRR to Penn Station, near to ESB so we could do it later at night when it was quiet having left all bags in the Hotel. Walk to Times square to see all the lights and madness there.

It was our first time and we loved being in that area. NYWhiz is the Hotel expert though so she should know.

Here is a link to our trip report …blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/nyc-day-one-thursday…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

Zoe, haven't had a chance to read the whole report but love the photos and the look of your blog! ;) Which hotel did you stay at? Neither kate nor I are saying the area isn't convenient....but would you not agree it was a bit lacking in charm or good nearby restaurants?

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

We stayed at The Comfort inn

The places we wanted to eat were as spread out as the sights and I loved going to find them on the subway, my Husband doesn't do fancy food though so we were going to places that did plain food well, like Pizza/Hot Dogs, BBQ/Chinese, Pancakes and street food.

I suppose if you want to have the fancy restaurants near your hotel you would need to search which ones you wanted to eat at first and then pick the hotel location, or find an area with a concentrated amount of them. We spent so little time at the hotel other than to freshen up or sleep that we did not notice charm or lack of, it was exciting walking out of the door turning either left or right and being either on Broadway or 5th Avenue.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choose: Hampton Inn 35th St or Hyatt Place 36th St?

It is convenient.

I just think that as a local, living here, I think it is not what I think of when I think "charming neighborhood"

Absolutely clean, safe, convenient, practical, efficient, central, great access to tons of subway lines and city buses, easy access to Penn Station for getting to / from the airports economically. Yes, absolutely.

I think it is more the fact that we're able to make the comparison to say "the village" or "the upper west"

I want to be cautious not to alarm these folks as their choice is not "bad" - there just may be some margin for further optimization.