We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mystic

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
388 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mystic

Hi, I m so exciting because as you know I m preparing my first trip to NY.

I want to go to Mystic aquarium, is it possible in one day?, and if I want how can I go to there?.Does anybody go to Mystic?.Thanks!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,874 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mystic

People do go to Mystic, but it depends on how long you will have in NYC. If it's a short trip, most people wouldn't prioritize it. There is too much to do and see in NYC.

Mystic CT is about a 3 hour train ride on Amtrak, then you would need a taxi. Peter Pan Bus makes the round trip from NYC to the Aquarium once per day. (Leave NYC 7am, Leave Mystic CT 7pm). That takes about 3 hours each way as well. I'm not sure how close the bus station is to the Aquarium.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mystic

Just for the aquarium? Hmmm, not too sure if its worth it to be honest. The penguins there are the main attraction but just between you and I not the prettiest penguins. Why not try the aquarium in Coney Island

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mystic

Although Mystic is a nice little ("renovated") fishing village (and shopping opportunity) but you might like to have a look around. Very "New England Seaport."

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
388 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mystic

I want to go Mystic because I want to know the belugas, and if you want you can touch them.

But i have to take the train, or the bus (Peter Pan).Is it safe? I try to know from NY, with Peter Pan s bus (and how the cost is).Thank you!!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mystic

I've been to Mystic once but did not go into the Aquarium. If you're looking for a big Aquarium I think you'll do better at the one in Camden (across from Philadelphia) http://www.adventureaquarium.com/ as it is my impression that the Camden aquarium is larger -- but honestly I've never been to either

OTOH, if you are interested in the Age Of Sail then Mystic Seaport http://www.mysticseaport.org/ is outstanding. They have lots of historic vessels with many demonstrations and exhibits -- it was one of the most interesting places I've been (but then I like old ships). I don't think their web site does the place justice but the wikipedia site lists the historical vessels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_Seaport and I would draw attention espeically to the Charles W. Morgan, the L. A. Dutton, the Sabino and the Joseph Conrad, all of which you can go aboard, of course.

Also nearby, in Groton, is the US Submarine Foorce Museum and home to the USS Nautilus which you can go aboard. If you like subs this is a great place to visit but you'd need a cab or car to get there from the Mystic train station.

So the bottom line is that unless you like ships and the history of ships and stuff like that it's not worth it. But if you do it's great.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mystic

Mystic is rather far just for an aquarium. We have one on Coney Island, and there's also a closer one in Norwalk, Connecticut (1hr by train) if your idea is to get out of the city.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mystic

Forgot to give you the web site of the Sub museum: http://www.ussnautilus.org/

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mystic

It would take about 2 1/2 hours to drive to Mystic. A lot longer by bus. Are you sure you can touch the whales? I have been there twice and didn't get to touch anything. There is an aquarium in Norwalk that is much closer to NYC.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mystic

I just looked at the Mystic Aquarium website and i see that they do have a Touch a Beluga program for $150. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but if that is what you are interested in, then you would need two days, considering time to get there and the length of the Beluga Program (90 minutes).

How long will you be in NYC? Two days is a big chunk of time.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 00:27
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mystic

You do not need to even think about safety. New York City is extremely safe and very secure.

You are more likely to make a mistake and have a police officer approach you and potentially write you a summons than you are of encountering any other danger. Some tourists make the mistake of swiping their MetroCard on the uptown side when they want to go downtown. They exit and cross the street and enter on the other side and their MetroCard says "just used" so they walk through the door. Police officer comes out of hiding and writes everybody a ticket. You are more likely to encounter that kind of situation than any "danger"

Amtrak is very safe - people don't use intercity transportation to commit crimes. Very safe.

Amtrak would be the way to go to Mystic. The train goes right into Mystic. Not all trains stop in Mystic but some do. visit www.amtrak.com

It is a very pretty / scenic journey up to Mystic on the train. I used to have to travel to that area for work quite a bit and it is a very nice ride.