We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Hi, I'll be in NYC in late April and am trying to book a restaurant that has a cool vibe, good food, fun ambience. I haven't been in ages - I was thinking something along the lines of Spice Market, but I'm assuming that's outdated now as I went back in 2005. I like the idea of the Spotted Pig, but know that they don't take reservations. We want to stay in Manhattan.

Is Babbo good and fun? How about NoMad? Is Buddakhan outdated? Suggestions would be great!

On a side note, we'll be doing one dinner at Balthazar - what are your thoughts on that?

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Cafe Boulud had a very cool, energetic vibe! Excellent food and service also. You can book on opentable. :).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

I wouldn't call Babbo "fun." I've eaten there probably 3 times and the food was good, but I'm not particularly fond of the decor, especially upstairs. A really plain room. NoMad might be a good option - very cool decor and pretty hot right now. Less expensive and a few blocks down Broadway is ABC Kitchen, also worth a look. Also Daniel Boulud's DBGB in the East Village. I love Cafe Boulud, and it's less formal than Daniel, but it's still relatively staid, not "cool " or "trendy" in the way that Spice Market was in 2005, so it may not be the vibe you're looking for.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Newer hot places

…eater.com/archives/…more

Balathazar is good but no longer considered an in place. Same with Buddakan. Doesn't mean they're bad.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Mission Chinese..ask Ziggy...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Of the places on your list, book dinner at NoMad & ask for a table in the atrium. Consider also Empellon Cocina, Caliiope (in place of Balthazar), & Dirt Candy. Not restaurants, but worth looking at if there's anything scheduled when you're in town, are James Beard Foundation, which hosts chefs from around the country who prepare dining "events" and, probably the most "fun" of all, a class at The Brooklyn Kitchen, where you'll eat what you prepare, usually paired with wine or beer.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

Thank you for the great recs! I love the James Beard idea, would have never heard about that.

Last question - what is the word on Beauty & Essex for dinner? Or drinks?

- I will try for NoMad Wed night - going with my best friend

- Thurs we have Balthazar for now, one of my friends is pretty adamant about it. 4 of us. Might try to change it as I really like your suggestions.

- Fri we are doing Pravda for drinks, then either Lupa, Grammercy Tavern, or Stanton Social. Big group of girls.

- Sat doing either Mateo, Koi, Nobu, or Nobu 57 - same big group of girls

- Sun doing Per Se with husband.

If you want to comment on the friday or saturday options please feel free!

7. Re: restaurant with cool vibe, upbeat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:16