We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

...and had the feeling we'd seen a show that, once it opened, tickets would be hard to come by. Cyndi Lauper's score was just plain fun, and the guitars and percussion that were part of the orchestra had the audience "rockin." The numbers that stayed with me the most were actually the solos and there were three, all outstanding: Lauren (hilarious), Charlie (emotional and dramatic) and Lola (moving). The numbers that were performed by Lola and his "Angels" were fun and amazing...what those guys could do in their "Kinky Boots!" Lola (Billy Porter) was especially comedic in his line deliveries, and Stark Sands (Charlie) was his perfect "straight man," albeit a funny one. The cast just seemed to mesh and enjoy what they were doing, and this play worked for me.

Would I bring a child to the show? It depends. The message - accepting yourself and being accepted for who you are - is something I would have wanted to share with my daughter when she was a teenager, but there's more to the story than just that. The show is also about people dropping their prejudices, making things work and learning from the experience. Parents will know if the story line is something that is right for their children, and for adults, this is a very funny, entertaining show with a strong message. We walked out of the theater happy that we saw this musical, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it is received when it opens tonight!

Level Contributor
3,118 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

Took my 11 and 15 year old and they loved it. Actually less sex references than when we took them to Nice Work if you can get it later in the week. (it was also fine for them too)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

I agree, I saw it a few weeks ago and it will most likely be a hard to get ticket. Anyone who can get to see it now should. Personally, maybe I am a prude but under 16 I would not take. While there are lots of good lessons to be learned there is lots of sexual innuendo that I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing with a child.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

I need your help,please...I'll be in New York in two weeks and I'd like to see a musical...five years ago I saw"Mamma Mia!"and I really enjoyed it...I speak some English,I fully understand what I read,but not every word I hear(on Tv,etc.)...Do you think I could enjoy"Kinky Boots",which would be my choice this year?I mean,it seems really funny,with fab music and dancing...If you say"yes,you can see it even if you won't understand every word"...I immediately look for tickets!Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

Summerabroad, Kinky Boots is based on a true story and a UK movie was made about 7-8 years ago. You can always try and find the movie to watch before seeing this show. Of course there will be some differences.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

KINKY BOOTS opened last night to very positive reviews (didhelikeit.com)

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

I have seen the movie several times and I want to see the play.

There are so many important messages in the script. It is not just about being who you are and accepting one another but it is also about the value the collective "we" brings to the table. I think about it a lot in terms of business and the evolving commercial landscape. The days of generation after generation following in their father's footsteps is over. "That's how we've always done it" is just not a viable approach. Our economy is ever more global everyday and it is critical for our education and training to keep up. So, I love Kinky Boots for the many messages across such a broad spectrum - I hope it not only becomes a hit with locals and visitors from overseas but also with American visitors.

Level Contributor
3,118 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

HI Summerabroad,

I think you can see it with a limited use of the English language. A lot is singing and dancing. If you read before hand what the story is about I think you will be fine. I honeslty think it is fine for older kids. Tween and teen. Just explain what the word Kinky means. My son asked right before the curtain went up.

In the play, kinky acts etc are never spoken about. One song has the words "The Sex is in the Heel" but it is about looking good not the actual act. They see and hear more in radio songs and on TV then is ever referenced in the play.

Enjoy the show.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

MoreFFamilies, you gave an excellent assessment of what the show is about, and I would add that it's also about keeping jobs by adapting to the new markets. Another big part of the story was Charlie's realization that self fulfillment isn't just about what how he saw his future and his girlfriend's aspirations. This show sends so many messages and it's a treasure. That's why this show is so wonderful and why you keep thinking about it after it's over. I really found that Lola and Charlie's solos, especially, heightened the messages, and Cyndi Lauper's songs and the actors did an excellent job delivering them.

My son in law's mother saw the show with us and she'd seen the movie. She said that the show followed the story line exactly, and SUMMERABROAD, seeing it might help you follow the play. However, you'll jam to Cyndi Lauper's music in any language. basingstokecambridge, thanks for the links to the reviews. I'm so happy that things went well for last night's opening, and folks, get your tickets now because it may be hard to do it later. You'll be happy you did.

(BTW, I used Telecharge to purchase our tickets. I really found the theater graphic where you can view the stage from where you might be sitting to be dead on. We were on the back row on the orchestra level and I was a little bit worried about being too far back or having to look between "heads." With this graphic, however, I could see that the theater had a good "pitch" [there's another word they use for this in the theater world, but I can't remember it!], and our seating was just as I expected. I'm sure other sites might also give show this kind of visual, but of the ones I've used, this one was the best. http://www.telecharge.com/home.aspx)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

Another thought...I mentioned "Would I bring children to the show?" in my original post because I think parents should know about the story line and its social topics before they book. Parents will know what's right for their children, and there were a number of "tweens" and up in our audience. IMO, this play is a valuable teaching tool, and something I would have wanted to share with my daughter at that age. The subject is dealt with in a dignified and tasteful way, and I don't think parents will squirm in their seats over what is said or acted out. I would, however, explain the story line and personalities to a child before I took them to see the play. Children today know a lot more about different lifestyles than I did at their age, so I don't think there will be many surprises for most kids. If you can imagine a story featuring drag queens getting through TV censors, that's what you will see in "Kinky Boots." The story is about the people, and there are no efforts to "shock and awe."

10. Re: We saw "Kinky Boots" in preveiw...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 05:16