We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A strange request

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
A strange request

Hi All,

We will be staying at the Hotel Metro on 35th West from the 20th for two weeks.

Are there any grocery stores nearby to buy fruit and bottled water etc?

I have looked on Google street View and can't find anything.

I would also like to find the nearest liquor store and possibly a shop to buy some carry-out beer to drink in the hotel room.

Any advice gratefully received.

Les

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A strange request

Hi LesPne

We stayed opposite that hotel last year, there is a Duane Reade at the 6th Ave end that you can get that sort of thing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A strange request

Not a strange request at all. Another way to use google maps is to map the hotel and click on "search nearby" and type in what you want (ie supermarket). There's not a big supermarket that I can see nearby but there's a KMART on 34 st. & 7th ave. where you can find bottled water, beer and snacks and things like cereal. There will be small markets scattered around with fruit. You'll also see carts on the street selling fruit which is quite good. You only need a liquor store for wine and spirits. The nearest big market I see is a Whole Foods on 24th st. & 7th ave.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A strange request

there's also a tasty Bryant deli on 38 x 6th Ave

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A strange request

And it's West 35th, not 35th West, just so you know.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A strange request

this is only a fairly small shop, but often supermarkets will seem small from the outside, but you can get lost in them any time ^_^

…photobucket.com/albums/y455/RaRaNYC/bryant_…

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A strange request

We've used the K-mart nywhiz mentioned a few times on our trips and it has a wide selection of choice for things like water, beer and snacks, although I can't remember seeing fruit off-hand (maybe just because I wasn't looking for it though). Wine is a different matter since you have to buy it in a proper liquor store (whereas you can pick up a few beers at many deli/convenience stores) but just use Google Maps and you'll see plenty of options nearby.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A strange request

Do not buy wine unless you are sure you are in a wine or liquor store. Many midtown deli's sell near-wine (5%-7%) which they (optimistically ... ) don't need a NY state liquor license for. If you want real 12-14% wine, go to a store with "wine" or "liquor" in the outdoor sign.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A strange request

Kmart is not a place to buy fruit - in fact I'm not sure they have any fresh food other than dairy. There are delis with fruit all over that neighborhood - or take a trip down to Whole Foods on 24th and 7th.

There are liquor stores all over 8th Avenue in the 30s. If you're a wine enthusiast, there is a great wine store called the Burgundy Wine Company on West 26th (6-7th). They carry more than burgundies. For an excellent selection - Bottlerocket on 19th (5th-6th) with a complete liquor selection or Flatiron Wines on Broadway at 21st-22nd (liquors too).

There are some great hole in the wall restaurants in the west 30s - and a lot of great ethnic places on 9th Ave in the 30s-40s

suitcaseready.com

9. Re: A strange request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:17