We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

Asker, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

What would you suggest would be a good time hail a cab from the Time Square area if we need to be be on a Hawaiian flight that departs 10am from JFK to Honolulu this Monday morning? I would expect the traffic to be somewhat bad (?)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

Honolulu is a domestic / internal flight so really no need to get there much more than 75 - 90 minutes before.

You can really take the subway (E train) to the JFK AirTrain at Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK. Leave at 7:30AM and you'll probably be there before 8:30AM. It is much cheaper and more reliable but if you want to take a taxi, I'd suggest leaving at the same time as it could take a full hour.

JFK AirTrain is $5.00 per person plus any additional cost for the subway if you will not have an unlimited ride MetroCard. Taxi is $52.50 plus toll, plus tip - figure around $70. USD

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

Check out this link to Hawaiian Air's suggested times for checking in. JFK to HNL is considered as North America rather than domestic so they suggest 2 hours 30 mins and a minimum of 45 mins. At that time of day I would think using the subway would be quicker , not to mention cheaper.

…hawaiianairlines.com/app/…815

Edited: 07 April 2013, 03:48
Asker, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

Thank you for the quick replies. Is it just me or does it seem kind of complicated to travel by subway/airtrain for someone that has never been to JFK before? I don't mind paying for a Taxi but as you say, considering the time of the day it might be smart and more reliable to go by public.

Could you help me map out the quickest way by public from Iroquois Hotel 49 W 44th St?

We will be traveling with two large suitcases and two small backpacks, we don't mind a bit of carrying but doesn't it get quite crowded on the trains Monday mornings?

Thank you for all your help

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

I'm sure you'll get help, but with the luggage you describe I too would take a taxi. I'd probably order a

Dial7.com

Car for 7am which costs about the same as a taxi. A that hour, you should breeze out of Manhattan and the bulk of the traffic will be going in the other direction.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,404 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

The AirTrain at JFK is not complicated. It stops at every terminal so all you need to know is which terminal you're departing from.

To get to JFK from your hotel your best bet would be to walk down to 42nd Street and 6th Avenue. You have two choices here so I'll explain both. You're right to be thinking about morning rush hour crowds but in both instances you'll be getting on at a station where a lot of people will be getting off, so there should be room. Within a few stations, most people will have gotten off.

The route that involves the simplest change of trains is to take the uptown F train at 42nd and 6th. At any one of a number of stations you will need to do a same-platform change to an E train. If you're comfortably seated on the F after the Manhattan rush hour crowds get off I'd just stay on until Union Turnpike-Kew Gardens. Just get out and the E will be on the same platform, and most probably the same track. Take the E to Sutphin Blvd./JFK and go upstairs (via elevators and escalators) to the AirTrain. It's well-marked.

Your alternative at 6th Avenue and 42nd Street is to take the Flushing-bound 7 train. You'd take that to Court Square, which is an elevated stop. You'd go downstairs (via elevators and escalators) to the Court Square platforms of the E train. Take the Jamaica-bound E train and follow the same directions as above. The conceivable advantage of the 7 has to do with rush hour crowds. The 7 will have begun its run only one station before (at Times Square) and has only one remaining station in Manhattan (Grand Central.) So the 7, at least in principle, should be less crowded at the start of your trip than the F. Both should clear out reasonably quickly, although they certainly won't be empty.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 13:29
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

They did such a beautiful job with the Court Square station and it is really kind of cool how the 7 train climbs out of the tunnel and into the Court Square station with beautiful views of the skyline.

It is so easy from the Iroqouis Hotel to simply get the 7 train at Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street. There is also an entrance at 42nd / 5th. You'll know where these are by the end of your trip. It is four stops on the 7 train - exit toward the back (very well-marked) and you simply take either the elevator or escalator to the E train. Get the Queens bound E train in the direction of Jamaica Center to the 2nd to last stop - Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK

The new E trains have computer displays - it tells you all the upcoming stations.

You get off at Sutphin / Archer and go upstairs to the JFK AirTrain and then right into your terminal.

The advantage to the F train - as stated is that the E train uses the same track in Queens so as long as you transfer before they diverge, you're good. I typically recommend 71 Ave. / Forest Hills. I like that station because there are always lots of uniformed people there. That station is where the R and M terminate. It is a busy station with lots of train workers. The E should follow the F on the same track.

If you're nervous, leave at 7:15AM - you'll be there by 8:15AM and if you make a mistake (which you won't), you'll still be fine if you don't get there until 8:30AM.

7. Re: TIme Square to JFK for Hwaiian-flight at 10am Monday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:15