We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hi,

We're in NYC for our honeymoon next week and I've put together a rough itinerary. It's our first time in NYC and we'd like to see the main sights. It's fairly rough as we'd like to spend time just wandering around and exploring.

We both like walking around a city so intend to walk as much as possible - that way we'll get to see more of the city too.

We're not into art or museums and don't want to see a show (we live in London and do shows fairly often anyway). We do however love good food (especially meat) and enjoy nice bars, for beer and/or cocktails.

We're staying at Millenium UN hotel. Any advice on the itinerary greatly appreciated:

Day 1 Monday 

Arrive 12pm

Times Square (juniors cheesecake)

Nyc library

Top of the Rock

5th avenue

Dinner- local or walk to Village if feeling energetic

Day 2 Tuesday

Grand Central and ESB

Afternoon and evening exploring East village/ Greenwich and meat packing

Bleeker st

Fancy cocktails in Village

Day 3 Wednesday

Statten Island Ferry

Lower manhattan

Ground Zero

Walk Brooklyn bridge

Dinner and drinks - Brooklyn

Day 4 Thursday 

Central park - hire bikes

Harlem (Levain bakery)

Upper east side

Local dinner

Day 5 Friday 

Highline 

Chelsea market 

Soho?

Night out with friends 

Saturday

Brunch?

Anything else we've missed

new york
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

I think that it sounds pretty good. You have grouped things together well. With that short of time, I probably wouldn't do both ESB and TOTR. However, if you want to then I would recommend doing ESB at night and TOTR during the day to get both daylight and night time views.

Absolutely walk a lot, but don't hesitate to use the subway when you are going from midtown to the Village or downtown. You will be walking tons anyway.

Reserve passes for the 9/11 Memorial at 911memorial.org. Also visit St. Paul's Chapel which is nearby.

Have fun and congratulations!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

Here are a few thoughts. I love restaurants too.

Do you like Thai food? Spice is a small chain of really yummy Thai restaurants. It sort of reminds me a very little of Wagamama. I enjoy going to Wagamama in the UK. It isn't exactly the same but it isn't world's away. www.spicethainyc.com/

I was just recommending in another thread, Mario Batali's Otto - excellent place. It is modeled after an Italian train station and it is located on 8th Street in the heart of Greenwich Village. Some good small starters, choice of pasta or pizza (no steaks or chops) and quartino's of good Italian wine. www.ottopizzeria.com/ Literally just up the street is one of my all-time favorite wine bars in the world. 8th Street wine Cellar. This place is a real gem. Don't miss this place. www.8thstwinecellar.com/ A few steps further is Insomnia Cookies - so wrong but so good. www.insomniacookies.com/

The East Village is a lot of fun. Great neighborhood to explore. The tourists very seldom make it east of Avenue A. I have no idea why but the tourists just don't seem to go that far - maybe they expect that because there isn't a subway within a couple blocks, it isn't worth it. Their loss. Spina is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in NYC. I hope you don't hate Italian food as I'll be pretty useless if you do dislike Italian. www.spinarestaurant.com/

Now, Brooklyn. Walk through Brooklyn Heights after the bridge. Hit the Promenade. Montague Street is the heart of Brooklyn Heights. Very nice. The real gem though is as you head south on Court Street into Carroll Gardens (south of Atlantic Avenue). Then you've got the most sinful dessert place called The Chocolate Room. www.thechocolateroombrooklyn.com/ You may not thank me for the Chocolate Room once you realize how many calories you've consumed but I think it is a really enjoyable experience.

I like Lunetta on Smith St. www.lunetta-ny.com/ There are tons of restaurants, bars, wine bars, etc. on Smith St. in the immediate area. The F train is right there to take you back to your hotel. This is absolutely extremely safe and you can comfortably and confidently walk the streets, enter and exit the subway stations, ride the busy subways and you do *not* need to worry about your safety. Occasionally kids try to yank iPhones out of distracted people's hands and run but otherwise as long you aren't falling asleep with your iPhone on your lap, you are safe.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

Great. Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

There are so many amazing sounding food places. I'm going to have to plan my second trip right away!

4. Re: Itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:16