We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

Melbourne
6 posts
Save Topic
New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

Hi all

My family of 4 (Husband, myself, 4yo and 1yo) are planning our first visit to NYC. We will be in NY for about a week in June.

Is anyone able to recommend a good area of New York to stay in, or more specifically a good hotel where we can stay (clean, safe, but budget friendly). We are happy to not be in the heart of the city but don't want to be so far out that we are travelling hours to get around each day.

We would like to visit some family friendly attractions like the Museum of Natural History, Central Park and Coney Island and plan to use the subway primarily to avoid lugging child car seats around. Any other suggested attractions are welcome.

We have allocated a budget of $2000 for the week (including our meals, transport and accommodation).

Thanks for your help!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

Do you have specific dates? Prices can change daily in NYC. Also don't forget that taxes add around 15% and June is a busy and popular time in NYC. I'm not sure how far you $2000 will stretch to cover everything you want it to for a week.

The Beacon hotel is often recommended for families. It's located in the Upper West Side a couple of blocks away from Central Park. It may be too expensive, but it's worth a look.

For transport, you want to buy a 7 day metro card for $30pp (I'm not sure what happens with the 1yr old and 4yr old in terms of free or discount travel, a local can speak about that).

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

You're going to have a hard time finding a hotel alone for $2000 for four for a week in June, let alone meals and transport in that figure. Can you increase your budget by 50-100%? That would be more realistic.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

Children under 44 inches (112 cm) ride the subway for free. I assume you kids meet that criteria !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

7 days, 2 adults & 2 kids, all meals, accommodation & transport for around $300 pd? Could you do that in Melbourne? I would think it would be difficult... As BB said #2, a budget rethink is required.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

We are staying on the upper west side with our 3yo in june. Our accom is $1000 au(incl tax) for 4 nights.

We are planning on taking her to Jane's Carosel, then get an ice cream and walk back over Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan.

6. Re: New York City with kids aged 4 and 18 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:16