We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

How do tour groups to Woodbury Common work? Where do you leave your shopping? How do you mark it to be yours?

How long do you have to shop?

Is there nothing like it in NYC? We are interested in clothes and shoes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

some love woodbury common, some hate it. I wouldnt do it personally but thats just me!

You dont have to go on a "tour" - you can just do it yourself. You get a get a bus from the port authority.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Woodbury is an all day trip and you realy need to have a look at what stores are there and for what you are looking for ,

You can also go to Jersey Gardens it is only a 20 minute trip compared to an hour to get to Woodbury Commons,

Jesey Gardens is about $12 compared to Woodbury Commons at about $40 Woodbury is an all day trip ( do you have the time for that )

Jesey Gardens you can do as a half day trip with a regular scheduled bus from the Port Authority Building ,

I have also found some great deals at Macy's ( you can get a discount card from the Concierge desk on the mezzanine level of the main store ) and stores in Manhattan.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Shopping in Manhattan itself is great....and much cheaper than Aus even without discounts!

My bf wants to visit Woodbury Common during our visit in a few weeks. We've decided to leave it until one of our last days so he can decide if he still wants to go even after Manhattan shopping. If we go, we'll catch an early bus from Port Authority which I think is about $30pp without the coupon book which you can get off their website for free.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Hi I’ve been NYC 5 times and have been to woodbury common twice. (planning my 6th trip and going to W/C again then). I love the place but it completely depends upon how much shopping you intend to do on your trip in total as to if you can afford to loose a day out of Manhattan.

Each time i have just gone down to Port Authority and brought the Grey Line ticket the day i want to go. You decide what time you want to go and get the right bus. Then when you reach W/C you can go to the visitors centre and get a booklet of coupons ( you can also get near enough the same online if you sign up to the VIP ) There is sometimes a bit of a wait for your bus back (one time we waited a while due to the queue being very long and then had to wait until the following bus came).

We kept our shopping bags with us all day and then on the bus we condensed them down as much as possible and then had them with us at our seats. There were people who had brought along wheeled cases or brought them from there who put the bags in the hold under the bus.

Hope this helps (sorry if it is a bit rambled)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

Molly has described it well (and not rambled imo ;) I don't quite know what you mean by tours, but if you've seen one, there's no need to go on a "tour" when you can just get a bus yourself. There are lockers you can rent at Woodbury if you arrive early in the day OR, some people bring (or buy there) a rolling suitcase for purchases they make along the way. Yes, there are loads of discount shops IN Manhattan. Century 21, Burlington Coat Factory, Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, DSW for shoes.....

Some people prefer the mall because:

>all the stores are in one place so no travelling

>many people prefer to spend one day of their holiday shopping and by going to a mall, it's an easy way to do that

I think it depends on how big of a shopper you are and how much time you're spending here. For a week or more visit, I see nothing wrong with heading to Woodbury if you're a big shopper.

Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Thanks for the responses :)

We are in NYC for 2 weeks. At this stage, it'll be at a leisurely pace, which seems contradictory for NYC! We'd been to the premium outlets on the west coast a few years ago and bought heaps, we hired a car so it was easier for storage.

Might do what some have suggested, wait and see if we really want/need to go to Woodbury Common. I do intend to buy a few seasons worth of clothes and shoes for the kids and the adults ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

You can also rent a car here and go on your own if you're comfortable driving. The bus tickets are pricey, particularly if there are more than 2 of you. It is nicer to be able to store the purchases in the car and come and go as you please.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping

The car would be a wonderful option as the buses can be annoying when you are waiting. I love the thought of being able to do that but dont think i could cope myself. Leaving it till later in your holiday sounds good, you may find everything you want in Manhattan (im sure you will)

Thanks NYWhiz for you comment on my post (ie saying it was good) i always read what you post and find it always so helpful. My upcoming trip would not be the same without your ideas

9. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:17