We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

Hi,

I am planning for a trip to Newyork city with my wife & another couple in the Memorial day weekend. I will be staying at NJ. I am planning to cover as many places as possible in NY city in 3 days & 3 nights. So need your suggestion so that I can plan my trip and cover most of the places in a lesser amount of time. Following are the list of places, i want to see

•Central Park - 59th to 110th Street (Central Park Zoo, Belvedere Castle and the fried Sam Memorial Carousel)

•Madame Tussaud’s wax museum

•The Metropolitan Museum of Art

•Staten Island Ferry (view Statue of Liberty from Staten Island ferry)

•Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (might be closed due to Hurricane Sandy)

•Wall Street Walks (NY Stock Exchange Building)

•National September 11 Memorial & Museum at the World Trade Center

•Tribute WTC Visitor Center

•Brooklyn Bridge & Prospect Park

•Flushing Meadows park

•Bronx Zoo

•Downtown Manhattan

•NY Aquarium on Coney Island

•Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts

•Circle Line Cruises

•St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral - Explore this famous building on Fifth Avenue.

Evening - Night

•Take an elevator ride up 1,050 feet to the 86th-floor observation deck of the Empire State Building.

•Top of the Rock, located on the 67th, 69th and 70th floors of 30 Rockefeller Plaza (home of NBC studios)

•Times Square & A Broadway show

Please let me know if i missed any must-see place. Also, it would be great if someone can provide a day-wise schedule. Also need help on some good Italian & Indian restaurants and places for shopping.

Thank you!!

-Arjun

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

I think you need to tell the regulars here exactly where you are staying and in what hotel.

New Jersey is in a completely different State and depending on where your hotel is it can get expensive and time consuming to take public transportation to get to New York City. You have a lot you want to see and do so it might take time to commute in and out of NYC.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,422 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

There is no way to do all of this in three days. You'll have to prioritize the mnost important places and let us know what they are, and we can help you build an itinerary around those. Where in New Jerrsey are you staying, and how do you plan to get to and from New York City?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

When prioritizing, google maps can be a big help is seeing how things on your list can be grouped together. You can visualize which places are less practical for a short and busy trip, and take that into account when you prioritize.

You've missed a lot of "must see" places, but you don't have time for them all, and your interests will determine which are the most important.

Have you taken a look at the sample itineraries section?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

I think you'd be wasting valuable time by staying in NJ. You can find good deals to stay in Manhattan. I highly recommend hotwire.com to book the hotel. I've gone to NYC twice, booked both times with hotwire. 1st time we stayed in the financial district for $134/night, 2nd time we stayed in midtown east for $143/night. Both were 4 star hotels. I recommend getting a 7-day metro card for $29. We also stayed for 3 days, and found it well worth it, since we also wanted to see as much as possible in those 3 days. We got the New York Pass newyorkpass.com, it was well worth it - flat rate and it got us into everything. In 3 days we did: a movie sights bus tour, a central park movie sights walking tour, Guggenheim, The Met, 3hr circle line cruise, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, wax museum, Time Square, 9/11 memorial and Tribute center, Rockefeller center, NBC studio tour, Top of the Rock, Top of Empire State building, and 4D sky ride thing in the empire state building. My friend didn't want to go on the cruise, so she went to the American Museum of Natural History instead. Every one of those was covered by the pass (or it was free). Our days were long and exhausting, but we got to see everything we wanted!

Edited: 10 April 2013, 01:06
Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

Hello,

I will be staying at my friend's place in Bayone in NJ and i will be commuting by train mostly. I am ready to spend most of the time in travelling and sight-seeing and waste time on gossiping. I want to start as early as possible in the morning and see places till late evening.

Can you please help me build an itenary? Which of the places i can club together and visit together and how can i plan my trip so that i cover most of the places mentioned above. Really need a help from you.

Thanks!

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

Thank you so much for your response. Actually i have one of my friend staying in NJ, hence i decided to stay there. But i am ready to start early in the day and see places till late evening. I would rather walk n cover most of the places than gossiping and wasting time. Can you please let me know what a movie sights bus tour, a central park movie sights walking tour actually is?

Thanks!

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

It would be really great if someone can help me build an itenary Day-wise from where to start and what to see at one shot!! I really need a help on the planning since i am not much aware of the Newyork city route.!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

You really need to use Google maps or get yourself an actual map and figure out what things are where, and what else they're close to. I'm not a local or an expert but to start with:

•Madame Tussaud’s wax museum

- I wouldn’t bother but if you really want to visit, visit the same night as you see Times Square and a Broadway show. Just check opening times.

•Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

- Won't be open for you to visit. You can ride the Staten Island Ferry OR take a Circle Line Cruise to get a view of the Statue of Liberty. No need to do both.

- You can group Central Park and the MET Museum together. Most people would take an entire day for just these 2 places.

- You can group Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan together (Wall St, 9/11 Memorial). Again, if you're actually going to explore Brooklyn, this could take up an entire day.

- TOTR is off 5th Avenue so if you're visiting St Patrick's Cathedral, TOTR is very close by. Do them together. Do TOTR during the day/dusk so you get the view of Central Park.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

Thank you so much. I have started my planning and will share with all of you once its done. Then you guys can review and let me know. Can you please let me know with what place i can club empire state building?

And let me know if i have missed any place which i must see.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newyowk City

The movie sights bus tour takes you around to places that have been used for tv and movie scenes. We stopped at the Friends tv show building, Washington Square Park where parts of I Am Legend were filmed, Columbus Circle where parts of Tower Heist were filmed, and lots more. We drove around on a coach bus and they showed movie clips for the signts we were seeing, and we got off the bus a few times to explore a little.

The Central Park movie sights walking tour was as above, but we walked. it was both movie sight related, and general park tour. We saw sights from Home Alone 2, Serendipity. We saw where the Woolmen Rink is, the bethesda statue (my fave), the carousel, literary walk, the dairy, strawberry fields, and the Dakota building where John Lennon was killed and where Yoko still lives.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 02:52