We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
357 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

I know that the hotel is closed down and it's impossible to stay there at this point. I also understand it's undergoing renovations.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to at least go into the lobby and do a little tour of the hotel?

The last time I was in NYC, I promised myself that the next time, I would stay at the Chelsea, then it closed down and I'm still kicking myself in the butt about that so I'd at least like to see it from the inside.

Thanks in advance!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

I pretty much doubt you can go in ....

the building does look nice on street view ... I'll check in May if you want me to ^_^

Edited: 11 April 2013, 21:52
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

In July when I walked by there were usually guys standing outside. I'm not sure if they were some sort of security or just construction workers on break... There is only a few tenants holding out so chances are they will recognize that you don't belong there. However, there is a cease work order as far as I know so you never know. You may be able to play it off as though you are looking for El Quijote.

There isn't much to see anymore. The art in the lobby has been collected by the artists, put in storage, or tossed. Beautiful building. Worth seeing the exterior. Doughnut Planet below the hotel is da bomb.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

Thanks for the replies. I will be there next week so I guess it won't hurt to try. I am still mad at myself for not going in last time I was there. I only took pics of the outside :(

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

No one was allowed in when I was by there in early February

5. Re: Chelsea Hotel - Can we go inside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:16