We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer, i must see and i must do

Dubai
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First timer, i must see and i must do

So after thinking we were going to Mauritius on holiday, we find out hubby has a business trip to Detroit, via New York, a few days before the date we were due to travel, so we have now decided to turn that into a 2 week trip, with a 4 night stay in New York at the beginning of the trip. And im very excited. The trip is planned for 11th May 2013 so only 4 weeks to go, and im trying to plan as fast as i can.

So our problem now is where do we stay so we get to see all the usual must sees, and do all the must do's

My hubby will land back into NYC at JFK the day before me, so he has 1 night on his own, sure he will find a bar somewhere, and once im with him we will have 3 nights to explore together.

Biggest thing on our bucket list is the 9-11 memorial, followed by ESB and TOTR, central park, a bit of shopping, staten island, brroklyn bridge etc etc etc.

So i need lots of help with best areas to stay. Budget wise we are looking at max $250 per night.

Help from all you fantastic TA's is very much needed as its all a bit baffling to me.

Many thanks

Sue

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

Go online and book the 911 memorial tickets.

Have you looked at any hotels that are within your budget?

It doesn't matter which area you stay in as all the visitor attractions are all over the place. Just try to be close to subway.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

What were you thinking of doing in Staten Island?

If you'd like to see a Broadway show, you might want to look at the discounts over at broadwaybox.com and purchase tickets before you arrive.

Would you like to stay in a busy area? A quieter area? Long Island City in Queens is a popular budget destination, but because you're staying over Mother's Day weekend, you might find some good discounts in Manhattan. Have a look at travelzoo.com or kayak.com for some ideas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

Prices are relatively high that weekend. Taxes add ~15% to room rates. The Wellington Hotel and the New Yorker are well located and popular budget hotels that fit your budget looking on

kayak.com

The Travel Inn and the Hotel at Times Square are other options. Here's a map with those

http://goo.gl/maps/3Ys0s

You could also try bidding on Priceline for a room if you don't mind prepaying. I would bid 4* Times Square area up to $200/night. All the 4* Times Square hotels are good to very good. The only one that isn't great is the Millenium Broadway (really showing wear) but it's still fine. Someone has gotten the Westin for $65/night for 2 of your nights. That would be a nice win. If you don't know about Priceline, look on

betterbidding.com

They have a win calendar under tools which is where I saw someone got the Westin.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

PS, as far as seeing the must sees/dos, the hop on off buses are good for that. The best way to use them is to stay on the buses and ride a loop. Grayline is the most popular co.

onboardtours.com

is another option in air condtioned smaller buses with a guide that stays with you.

freetoursbyfoot.com

is also becoming popular where you just tip the guide. More walking involved with that. Make sure to bring comfortable shoes!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

I just noticed a typo in my first post. Someone has won the Westin for $165/night not $65!!!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,719 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

The 7 day unlimited subway pass is $30 plus $1 card fee per person. Use it as much as you want on the subway and buses across all of the NYC burroughs. You'll be using the subway more than you think in 4 days and it's a great way to get around.

This is the official site for the 911 memorial passes: http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

Dubai
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

thanks all for your assistance, didnt realise it was Mothers day weekend, as i live in Dubai and we have already celebrated it here. Good excuse for pressies though!!!

Staten island was only so we could see the Statue of Liberty, i know its closed to the public at the moment, but would be grateful for best ways to at least get some upclose pics.

I found a nice hotel, Hotel on Rivington, any good for area etc. Also looked at One UN, but its looking more expensive i think, maybe we could up the budget to $300 if that would get us something that much better.

Any area which is easier to get to from JFK,

Will definitely do the HOHO bus to help us see all the tourist spots.

Would a hotel by Central Park be a good area for us, and if so which one, would like a great view, and maybe a quieter area than right in the middle of Times Square.

Thanks again, sure i will be asking questions til the day i depart !!!!

Sue

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

Sue, the Hotel on Rivington is a trendy hotel in a young, trendy area. Some rooms have great views. It's also near some great restaurants and nightlife and would give you a much less touristy experience. That said, for a 4 night first visit, I'm not sure it's the most practical location but if you're ok with using the subway to get around, go for it. Just a heads up, the hotel is apparently starting to show some wear and tear.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

It would put you a bit closer to the 9/11 Memorial but further from ESB, TOTR, Central Park.

ONE UN has gorgeous views from all rooms and a somewhat rare for NYC enclosed rooftop pool but it's not the most convenient location vis a vis the subway for a short stay nor is it near where the ho ho buses start. If it's a bargain, I'd say grab it. One tower (it's got 2) has been renovated and they're charging more for that one. I can't remember if it's the west or the east.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

There's a good price on a superior room at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square on booking.com you might want to consider.

Yes, staying near Central Park is also a good idea but the more affordable options trade offs are either very small rooms (the Hudson, the Empire) or outdated decor (Helmsley Park Lane). If you can find a decent price for the Parker Meridien, that would be convenient.

Here's a map

http://goo.gl/maps/Veu4L

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,986 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

The Statten Island ferry does not get you very close to the Statue of Liberty. If you want to get up close you'll need to book a boat tour with Statue Cruises or Circle Line or the like.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer, i must see and i must do

Agree 1000%.

Statuecruises.com

Nywatertaxi.com

Nywaterway.com

Shearwatersailing.com

Sail-ny.com

Should also mention eating out on Mother's day is a big deal (brunch and dinner) and you really need to book something unless you just want basic food.

Opentable.cpm

Is a website fom which you can book many restaurants ( but not all).