We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

Hi, on my next (6th) trip to NYC I'll be 6 months pregnant so we've decided to head out of the city for a few days and thought it might be nice to rent a car and drive somewhere pretty and relaxing with nice things to do and some B&Bs.

Being a Brit I don't really know where to start looking so (being a bit cheeky asking on this NYC board but this is my TA home and you've never let me down before so I thought I'd ask) I thought I'd see if anyone could point me in the right direction (literally!) - I'm thinking of driving towards Cape Cod along the coast. Is this worthwhile or is there somewhere else that you'd recommend?

I know this isn't really an NYC question but I don't know where to start,

Thanks for any suggestions

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

I should add it will just be my husband and I, aged 30, on a medium budget ($100 per night) but can be flexible about where we go to find better value deals. We're looking for somewhere 5-9 June 2013.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 14:47
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

The Hudson Valley is where you want to go. Take a look at B&Bs in the Cold Spring, Beacon, Kingston, and Rockland and Orange County regions, north/south between Tarrytown and Poughkeepsie. You'll arrive in pretty areas a lot more quickly than having to drive up the coast.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

We've driven up the Hudson River, where there is a lot to see & do.

I'd consider $100/night quite a low budget.

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

Thank you all so far for your suggestions.

To be honest I've not really figured out a proper budget as I wanted to see what the prices were in the recommended areas but more to say we're not rolling in it (although I imagine just saying that there is a baby on the way would be enough to alert most to our imminent lack of disposable income!). I'll say up to $200 a night then but the lower the better.

I'll definitely look into the Hudson Valley; it sounds beautiful. I was also thinking of looking at somewhere in Connecticut or Rhode Island (purely based on their relative proximity to NYC).

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

Mystic, Connecticut is worth a visit. The Seaport and the Aquarium are both good. Stonington just further on is an old shore town. Newport, Rhode Island with its mansions is lovely.

Cape Cod is a longer drive and is quite large so is difficult to see in a short time. You might want to concentrate on things a bit closer to NYC.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

Along the Hudson is beautiful. I love to visit West Point on the west side of the river when visiting relatives nearby. A few years back we drove NYC to Boston and stopped off at Hyannis for a night. I remember that we had a good hotel for a good price. We visited some pretty place along the way. Our kids were bored so better to go pre-kids IMO. We went along the Finger lakes in upstate NY one time and thought they were pretty too but it is quite a drive.

If there is just two of you then you may want to consider bidding on Priceline to keep the budget down. Look at betterbidding.com for advice on how to get most out of your bids. You may have seen Martin Lewis on tv about it this week. You need to have a bi of time to read up in this and not be too fussy.

7. Re: Venturing out of Manhattan for a few days - any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 06:18