We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC in early Nov

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
NYC in early Nov

Does it typically snow in the early weeks of Nov? If so, does it make it harder to get around and is it uncomfortable walking outside in the cold?

I had a look at weather underground on last years temperatures for Nov, and seems ok, many days above 53F. But when i look at the forecast for 2013, its looks really cold.

I'm also tossing the idea of visiting in September, but with the bad weather (with cyclones etc) in the recent years happening between end of Aug to end of Oct, I'm tempted to stay away from those months.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,002 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC in early Nov

Snow in early November is unlikely.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC in early Nov

Usually, no, but this past year it did. That was unusual. We don't have cyclones here. Do you mean hurricanes? We don't usually get hurricanes either. That's very unusual. September weather is generally beautiful, but the hotels are VERY expensive.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC in early Nov

If you decide to visit in November then avoid the NY Marathon weekend unless you want to take part. I have visited in early November and late November a number of times. in late Nov 2011 the weather was very nice, not what you would expect for that time of year.

Late August/early September prices can be ok but in the main September is very expensive as there is a lot going on in the city.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC in early Nov

Thank you

Sorry my bad, I meant hurricanes. And yes omg the prices of hotels are so much more!!!

I am probably looking at nov end, I mistakenly thought it was early nov, hope the prices are better then. Does it usually snow end of nov?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC in early Nov

No, not usually, but that doesn't mean it won't.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC in early Nov

Thanks

Do the subways stop working when it snows? Is it uncomfortably cold travelling without a car (ie by foot and public transport)?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC in early Nov

My first visit was early December, about 8yrs ago now. It was cold, but we knew it would be so came prepared; scarves, gloves, mittens, hats and warm jackets!! It wasn't uncomfortable at all! We are Scottish though, used to braving a bit of weather! I advise layering clothes, as when you are in buildings you begin to melt a bit with so much winter defence on!! On most other occasions I've visited in September and it was beautiful, no need for a jacket most days, but very little humidity which was great. Worst time I've visited was May, rain and humidity!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC in early Nov

My first visit was early December, about 8yrs ago now. It was cold, but we knew it would be so came prepared; scarves, gloves, mittens, hats and warm jackets!! It wasn't uncomfortable at all! We are Scottish though, used to braving a bit of weather! I advise layering clothes, as when you are in buildings you begin to melt a bit with so much winter defence on!! On most other occasions I've visited in September and it was beautiful, no need for a jacket most days, but very little humidity which was great. Worst time I've visited was May, rain and humidity!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC in early Nov

It will be noticeably colder at the end of november than September / October. While it is officially fall, the weather usually begins to resemble your winter weather.

September / first half of October are usually very beautiful, able to walk around with short sleeves and maybe a light jacket at night. Middle / End of November is typically winter coat weather, but likely not soo cold that you can't enjoy walking around.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC in early Nov

Weather is variable. At the end of November, it might snow, but it probably won't. It might be bitterly cold, but it will probably be only moderately cold. There's a chance it will rain (which is true any time of the year.)

Millions of people deal with November (and worse) in NYC. You can too. Just be prepared with a reasonably thick winter jacket, and warm clothes to layer underneath it. Wear fewer layers if it's warmer, more layers if it's colder.

Winter weather is something that is very normal for NYC, so of course the subways run and it's business as usual. It's rare for a major storm to disrupt the city.