We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Long Eaton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Hi all, our itinerary is around 3/4 complete. I would appreciate it if you could take a look and tell me if it's realistic and also if you have any recommendations for the time not yet filled - that would be appreciated.

We are a couple aged 40 ( turning) & 48

I think on Thursday there may be a little to much to do!

Here goes - Arriving 28th May 2013

DAY 1 (Tuesday)

>2pm Arrive Newark > NJ Transit to Penn Station > Buy 7 Day Metro Card - Get Tube to Hotel Beacon

>Late lunch at Viand Cafe & Supplies shopping at Fairways Market

>Walk Down Broadway to Times Sqaure

>Toys R Us > M & M World > Dylans Bar

>Bryant Park

>New York Library

>Back to The Beacon To Freshen Up

DINNER: Hi Life Bar & Grill

>Early Night

DAY 2 (Wednesday)

>12.30 – 6PM Onboard Tours Foot / Bus Tour

Includes seeing: Times Square, World Trade Center Site, New York Stock Exchange, Wall Street, Trinity Church, World Financial Center, Federal Hall, Madison Square Park, Flatiron Building, South Street Seaport, US Customs Building, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, NBC’s Today Show Set St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Central Park, Strawberry Fields, Dakota Building

+ Boat Cruise past Statue Of Liberty (Gutted it’s not open!)

DINNER: Bills Bar & Burgers ( at the Rockerfella)

>Top Of The Rock Dusk ( We might do TOTR in the morning and the empire when it gets dark – not confirmed as yet)

DAY 3 (Thursday)

>10am – 1pm Greenwich Village Sampler Tour - with CityRover Walking Tours

Includes: West Village, Greenwich Village, Highline & Washington Square Park

>1pm Take tube to Brooklyn

>Grimaldis Pizza > Janes Carousel

>Walk Back Over Bridge

>Grand Central Station (Audio Tour)

>Chrysler Building

>Trump Towers

>FAO Swartz + Possible a little of 5th Avenue ( Not a shopper)

DINNER: Not sure yet

NIGHT: West Village Pub Crawl

White Horse Tavern

Kettle Of Fish

Possibly Cafe Wah ( If not to tired!)

DAY 4 (Friday)

>American Museum of National History - Free Tour at 10.15 or 11.15

>2.30-5.30pm City Of Dreams Walking Tour with CityRover Walking Tours

Including: East Village, Soho - Noho - Little Italy

>After tour make our own way to Chinatown for a look and possible dinner – Any recommendations?

NIGHT: No arrangements yet

DAY 5 ( Saturday – My Birthday)

>Viand Cafe for Breakfast

>Museum of Modern Art

>Possibly Katz Diner for lunch

>2pm – Lucky Guy at Broadway – Seats at the front are my birthday treat!

DINNER: Tir Na Nog - Times Square

NIGHT: 78 Below for beers and live music – Any other suggestions welcome ..

DAY 6 (Sunday)

>Roosevelt Island Tram

>Central Park

Including: Venetian Gondola Ride - Belvedere Castle - Alice in Wonderland Statue - The Mall - Carousel – Zoo

DINNER: Undecided as yet

NIGHT: Undecided as yet

DAY 7 ( Monday)

We need to be at Penn Station for around 4pm ( Fly home at 8pm)

No arrangements made as yet for last day.

On the subs bench - for possibilities for any free time I have : Comedy Club, Governors Island, Terra Blues, The Underground

New York Tour1
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
9\/11 Ground Zero Tour
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Foods of New York Tours
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
NY
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Tuesday- If you are not a shopper skip the chain stores in Times Square. Get to the library before it closes. You might even eat at Fairways, reasonable, there are tables and give you more time on the street.

Thursday is a big walking day. If you can walk for 8 hours -enjoy. You might knock off Trump Tower- Also you will see the Chrysler Building from a lot of different perspectives, especially the Brooklyn Bridge, you don't have to be committed to walking by it- probably the worst way to see it.

Maybe swap MOMA and The American Museum of Natural History- which is located on the Park's edge.

Combine the shopping on 5th Ave with the TOTR tour- they are geographically close

My theory about eating in NYC- pick one or two great (read expensive) restaurants, and don't commit to eating places anywhere else. NYC in the fine weather is chock full of good eating, from food trucks, to salad bar delis, to sidewalk cafes and ethnic restaurants everywhere. Eat where you are when you get hungry. The stores post their Health Department rating- you really can't go wrong. Honestly- I would mostly skip the Viand Cafe and grab a bagel or a croissant or any breakfast at a food truck. You'll save time, money and will see a lot of street life in the process.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Katzs is totally out of the way Sat. You are better off doing it instead of chinatown

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Dylan's Candy Bar (this is a candy store, not a bar; just making sure you know this) isn't anywhere near Times Square. I'd skip it. M&M's World and the Hershey's store can provide you with your chocolate fix. Toys R Us has Candy Land as well, for non-chocolate lovers, although the store itself is just a large depressing warehouse. All of them really have the same thing, anyway, just with different wrappers.

Long Eaton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Thanks everyone,

Teacherfish - Yeah I think I'll ditch the pub crawl on Thursday and maybe juggle a few others. Reason why I put down the Chrysler was because I believe you’re allowed into the lobby?

Thanks for the tip about the Viand. Eating wise I would rather have a plan for dinner each evening – not bothered about lunch as that will be mostly grab on the go. I am not to bothered if we don’t actually get to the planned placed – but if we don’t have anything planned then we may end up wondering aimlessly not making up our minds lol. I can imagine us being totally wacked and grabbing made food at fairways to take to the room most nights (has kitchen).

Thanks for the tip about the Library will look into that to get the timing right.

Ztacs – thanks, I think your idea is better as It’s not too far away. So I take it I am not missing much in Chinatown?

Sashimimi – Thank you – I got my info wrong there – Dylans ditched and Hersheys added 

Long Eaton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Hi all, sorry to bump this ... well maybe not :) , Have made some amendments as suggested by teacherfish , ztacs and sashimimi.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Since posting I am also adding a new york water taxi by night and a helicopter ride.

I am so excited to visit NYC, been saving for 3 years for this trip!

Belfast
Level Contributor
510 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

You'll probably find you're up really early on Day 2 as your body adjusts to the time difference so why only start the day at12.30. I had a similar flight arrival time and was wide awake about 6.30 am. This is a good opportunity to beat the crowds at Empire State and then head for the cruise. The NY waterways have a free bus which takes you to the boat from ESB. You then have rest of day to explore.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,800 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

I think you have too much for Day 1. If you land at Newark at 2 pm, by the time you go through customs, take public transport into NYC, and then arrive at and check into Hotel Beacon, it could easily be 5 pm. And you'll be pretty tired. I don't think you're going to manage the library before it closes, and in that case skip Bryant Park that day as well. I'm thinking check into the hotel, get a bit of your bearings in the neighborhood, dinner, wander down to Times Square for the candy shopping, stop for supplies on the way back to the hotel, fairly early night. Something along those lines is probably all you'll manage...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

This is very tiring. You haven't left any opportunity for stumbling across interesting things.

I agree that you won't get to your hotel until at least 4pm on Thursday. Move Bryant Park and the library to another day, possibly combined with Grand Central and the Chrysler building lobby. Skip the Roosevelt Island tram in favor of those activities on the Sunday.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

I would skip the helicopter ride and go to the 102 floor of the ESB. Better view. Cheaper Safer more time to enjoy and less noise pollution on the ground.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Day Itinerary For May/June 2013

Opt - we have just returned from 5 nts at Beacon. To save time we had breakfast in our room every morning to get out and about every day ASAP (except one day we had brekky in the Viand Cafe next to the hotel for a big NYC brekky affair). It was a really good feed and we both had the Lumberjack breakfast (which is enough for 2!!) with a divine pile of soft fluffy pancakes. Its hard to put into words just how brilliant the Fairways shop is. You will be knocked over. Also next door to the hotel is Beacon wines which has the most extensive list of wines and spirits ive ever seen. We got a 1.5 litre bottle of good Chilean sauv Blanc for $11.99 which is cheap for wine in NYC.

We got a taxi to and from the airport from JFK cos we couldnt be asred with first day lumping cases about subways etc and to see the City a bit right from the start. With tip youre looking at $65-70 and was a treat to ourselves i suppose. We hunted some good dim sum in Chinatown but were disappointed with our recommended choice - the mandarin Court - FFS dont go there - ive just done a review (awful). There are better places on Mott Street. We actually had good dim sim at China Fun on Columbus ave just behind the hotel. Other good places to eat 5 mins from the Beacon were Celeste (Italian) and Freds (Huge american dishes) - huge portions -the nachos were enough for 4 pax and were divine. We found the Trip advisor City guide for NYC a god send as once its downloaded onto your phone, you have all the reviews, maps etc available without wi-fi. (its on your phone). If you are gonna do any food prep in the Beacon, take a sharp knife as they only give you normal dinner knives, forks and spoons. Any other queries, give us a shout. We did all the top ten etc and walked nearly all the districts. The high line walk was good (starting from the top) and leads you nicely into the village. Also we had City Pass tickets which are half the price of full fare admissions and gets you past the Q's in most locations. If you do the 9/11 tribute centre first, the tickets then get you into the memorial bypassing the huge lines for those without tickets. We thought both the tribute centre and the memorial must-sees. As for the cruise, the semi circular 2 hr cruise by Circle line takes you past ellis island and the Statue as well. That is part of the City Pass ticket. One point of advice for the cruises is definately get there early to get on the top deck. Otherwise you will be on the bottom deck behind windows. for a 1.30 departure we were there at 12.40. If we had had time we wished we had gone on the Intrepid aircraft carrier which looks amazing and is next to Circle line cruises which depart pier 68 for the semi circular cruise. If doing a daylight ESB, get there early and with City pass we went past hundreds of punters waiting to buy tickets. It was very very warm last week - short sleeve shirt every day and barley a coat in the evenings - only one evening did i have a jacket and that was for Jean Georges.