We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Anyone had to deal with this before? Potential bedbugs in an Airbnb place??I recently stayed at an Airbnb place in NYC and ended up with bites which had all of the indications and symptoms of bed bugs-- 3 bites in a row, very itchy. This was quite disturbing as I went and stayed at other peoples' places after that. After trying to sort things out with the host, I gave up and contacted Airbnb as I assumed they wouldn't want their guests to be in such places. I started the process on April 5 with Airbnb, sharing documentation and also asking if they would carry out a bed bug inspection. Their answer on that was never clear and I was never able to speak directly with the case manager or anyone to determine their policy on bed bugs. Today April 16, a case mgr advised me that the host gets his place inspected on a regular basis but wasn't able to say if that inspection occurred after I left. Figure that Airbnb doesn't have to satisfy me as I don't bring in much business the way a host in NYC would. Would be interested in hearing if others have had experience with potential bed bugs and if you had any satisfaction in dealing with Airbnb. Airbnb offered to refund their service fee of $41 for the 2 nights I stayed in the Airbnb aptment.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

I am late to this topic but I would encourage folks (past guests of hotels or rental property) to use the neutral database on actual or suspected bed bugs observed or confirmed in hotels or rental properties.

I thank everyone for this string of conversation as I've rented a place in the past using reviews from Tripadvisor and we just booked a place in the future using Airbnb.

I like searching Bed Bug Registry (bedbugregistry.com). This platform encourages travelers or renters to post reports on rentals and hotels. If more travelers and renters submitted reports on rental properties to this site a potential guest can be better informed before finalizing a booking.

Also, a good option, if allowed by Airbnb is to post your experience/comments in the guest review section of the rental. Of course I don't know who controls what is allowed to be posted on this particular site.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Have you read this from the FAQ's?:-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6575671…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

I'm not a fan of bed bug registries. Virtually every hotel in New York City has had bed bugs at least once by now: it's whether they take care of them when they're found that's most important, and you'll get a good sense of that by reading hotel reviews. I also don't think the average tourist knows a bed bug bite from a mosquito bite.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

"....I also don't think the average tourist knows a bed bug bite from a mosquito bite...."

The bites are quite different. When we have questions about these critters in NYC, we go to the source:

nyc.gov/html/doh/bedbugs/html/home/home.shtml

CH

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Can you describe the differences between the bites, Matt? That would be very useful.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Hola BB.

The big difference is in the clustering of the BB bites. You might find this information from WebMD to your liking:

www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/slideshow-bad-bugs

We suggest that you be careful of the fleas, too.

CH

Edited: 15 August 2013, 03:57
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Yes, sometimes bed bugs bite in clusters of three, or two, or four. And often mosquitos bite singly, unless you have more than one, in which case you sometimes get clusters. The bites themselves are, as far as the sources say, virtually indistinguishable except by a doctor, and even then it's hard to tell the difference.

So, all that said, I don't set much store by the bed bug registry.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

Yes, we agree. The BB's bite in clusters.

CH

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

having been bitten by bb's on more than one occasion (they like me :-( ), I'd still say, not many will know the difference .... (first occasion, I thought my allergy of certain washing powders was bugging me, as my roommate had no bites at all .....)

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Bed Bugs? What actions does Airbnb take with the host?

For what it is worth, I used to be a host on Airbnb. I always kept my place fastidious, and had a very well paid professional house cleaner come between every single stay. And then it happened. A guest who had driven cross country, staying in crummy motels along the way, infected my place with bed bugs. I cite her because (a) the apartment in question has no adjoining walls with other apartments; (b) the guest before her, who stayed for five weeks and was highly allergic to bed bugs, got zero bites; and (c) ONLY airbnb guests ever stayed at this apartment for over ten months. I always prided myself on being a very supportive, generous, responsive, and proactive host. So what did I do? I contacted the nightmare customer service team at airbnb, which aggressively advertises that they provide host insurance in case a guest trashes the place. Well, bed bugs trash a place, and there could be no other source BUT airbnb guests since they were the sole inhabitants. [One could argue that you can't say WHICH guest, but not that ONE of them was responsible, however accidentally.] In any event, the 'host guarantee' has so many loopholes and exceptions as to be meaningless. Long story, less long, this whole episode cost me $6000 before I was done. Humorously, airbnb asked me why I didn't require a deposit from guests. Uh-huh. Anybody reading this down with paying a $6000 deposit for a month stay? Or a week stay? Or a weekend stay? Didn't think so. But since neither any renter's insurance policy, nor airbnb covers bed bugs, sooner or later, every host is going to be up a creek. As far as I am concerned the real blood sucking bugs are the crafters of the airbnb business model.