We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
553 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to NYC May 3-6. We'd love to catch a show either Friday, Sat or Sunday but I'm finding tickets to be super pricey for our top pics like Wicked, Jersey Boys, and basically the more popular shows.

I've read about the discount sellers and also looked at Broadway Now and wondering what the best way is to buy tickets. We don't have a set schedule for anything - our only things on our list for the time we're there is going to a Yankee's game, visiting Brooklyn Bridge, the Met, Times Square and TOTR.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gina

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

Wicked is never discounted. To go see Wicked you'll need to buy full-priced tickets from the official seller (either TicketMaster or Telecharge, I can't remember which one).

Jersey Boys is usually discounted on the discount websites (I've never seen Broadway Now recommended, I suggest looking at www.broadwaybox.com, but only the LEFT HAND SIDE of the screen) but it may not be discounted for Friday or Saturday night shows. Those are the most popular.

If price is very important, you might consider looking at all the discounts available on Broadway Box, and seing if any of the discounted shows appeal to you. You might also consider seeing an Off Broadway show like Avenue Q, which was once a Broadway show (and won a best musical Tony!) by the same folks as the Book of Mormon. Read the descriptions and make sure it would appeal to you.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
553 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

Thanks so much for the info, Brooklyn!

Richmond Hill, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

I always prefer http://www.tickethub.co/ for any concert, broadway or sports tickets online. They have really cheap prices and much more seats available.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

I would go to the three discount sites, Broadway Box, TheaterMania & Playbill Club (the last 2 you need to join their free clubs which means you'll get lots of discounts in your inbox.) Look at the sites to see what discounts, if any, there are for the shows you are looking for. Make certain you note that most discounts don't take into effect until a month before the performance date & not all sites have the same discounts.

You can then decide if you want to wait to see if a discount is offered (note while you're waiting others are buying & a discount today doesn't necessarily mean a discount for next month-although that usually only applies to new shows.)

If you decide to buy full price, most of the front center seats are "premium" prices which are much higher than the side seats even in the same row.

If you decide to wait for a discount, be sure to have a plan B in case your show is not listed. However, if a show is not listed now, it isn't a guarantee that it will be listed any time soon.

5. Re: Best way to buy Broadway show tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:19