We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for accommodation

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for accommodation

I am travelling with a group - about 24 of us, mature age, couples and singles - and we will be coming to New York City for 3 nights mid-October. Finding accommodation for a group seems to be impossible. We would prefer to be in Manhattan but are fast losing hope of finding a location for a group of this size. Does anyone have a suggestion - is there a hidden gem somewhere?

Part of the reason I ask is because we have a limited budget - probably preferring to keep our ceiling price to less than $200 a double per night. If absolutely necessary we would entertain the idea of a slightly higher cost. Apartments, guest houses etc would be OK - we just need guidance.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

That's a low budget.

Long Island City is often recommended as a less expensive alternative, yet just a short subway ride from Manhattan. The Country Inn & Suites is one suggestion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

Apartments are mostly illegal for short term rentals although there are some apartment hotels that are legal but not necessarily less expensive. Guesthouses or what we would call a b & b are not necessarily less expensive and are usually by definition small, so wouldn't be able to accommodate 24. How many actual rooms do you need? The Inn on 23 st. might have enough rooms, but it's not very flexible about cancellations etc. and I don't know what they're charging these days.

http://www.innon23rd.com/rates.html

Chelsea Pines Inn has been popular on the forum. It might be worth contacting them although it occurs to me neither of these have elevators so if you have people who can't climb stairs, they're not good options.

Mid Oct. is just an expensive time in NYC. My advice is:

1) Try filling out a form here

http://www.hotelplanner.com/?Checkin=10%2F10%2F2013&Checkout=10%2F14%2F2013&City=New+York%2C+NY&sc=kayak

2) Pick a few big hotels and contact group reservations

Wellington Hotel

NY Hilton

Sheraton Hotel and Towers

3) I'm sure you're visiting other cities in the US. Have you considered trying to book all your rooms with one chain (ie Marriott, Hyatt etc.)? That might get you a better rate everywhere.

If you're coming to NYC for something specific, it would help to know what. Last but not least, there are some good options a subway ride away from Manhattan in either Long Island City or Brooklyn. It would help to know your plans to know what locations would work best.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

Thanks nywhiz - Inn on 23rd is about twice what we are hoping to pay and Chelsea Pines fully booked. However, we will look at your other options.

We are a club group arriving in NYC en-route to a club visit in Harrisburg, PA, where we will be home hosted and then on to Lake Hartwell, SC where we will also be home-hosted so the idea of using the same chain doesn't work all that well. However, we need a hotel in Washington, DC, and will see if we can work something in with that. Do you have any suggestions about the best place out of Manhattan if we are forced to look at that option?

BobbieM

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

How are you arriving to NYC? If by plane, which airport? What are you hoping to pay?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

Thanks again nywhiz - our group leader has decided to go with the St James, I believe.

It's been a real eye-opener to see the hotel prices in NYC

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

I think the St. James is a poor hotel in a good location. Read the review titled "blah" from earlier this month.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d290978-…

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

If you contact the sales manager at the Mela you may get set rather well with a significant break in

price and a little larger rooms.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

This is all good info. Thanks for your interest in our conundrum. So difficult to make arrangements from afar and sometime the reviews only confuse the issue.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

I stayed at the Skyline Hotel for 3 or 4 nights in November 2010 as part of a tour group. I have no idea what their nightly rates are for tour groups, but they obviously cater for them so it might be a good idea to contact them and see what they can do.

It is a pretty basic hotel but we had big rooms (with a fridge), it was clean, beds were comfy, there was a deli across the road, there are plenty of good dining options close by and it was an easy walk to Times Square.

http://www.skylinehotelny.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for accommodation

Hey Bobbie M:-) Don't let the reviews confuse you too much;-) I wouldn't give much credance to that 'blah' review.. written by a first time poster without even stating where they're from! If you look at the more recent 6 or so ..or the 6 prior reviews, it averages a 4 out of 5 and many written by folks who have a couple of dozen reviews under their belts;-) FWIW, with 3 nights, doubt you'll be spending much time in your hotel;-) Best in your seach.. have fun wherever you decide to stay.. and enJOY!