We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 days stay in brooklyn?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
16 days stay in brooklyn?

I'm going to new york for 16 days in early June and am trying to get an idea of budgets and how much I need for spending money. I'm going to be quite frugal with food but any ideas of a figure?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Does the budget need to include accommodations? Sightseeing? Transportation? Where are you staying? What are you planning to do?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Agree with the above^^. What are you looking to do?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

I've sorted out accommodation so it would just be food, travelling and sightseeing...I'm not planning on doing sightseeing every day but i'd certainly like to go some day trips e.g outwith New York state.

Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Well the first thing you should factor in is a 7 day metrocard at a cost of ~ $30 which will cover you for unlimited subway and bus travel throughout the whole city - great value. You will obviously need more than one of these (the ticket is valid from time of first use until 7 days later). You can eat as cheaply or as expensively as you like - New York is the home of everything from cheap eats to limitless budget. There is a FAQ to the side about doing NYC on a budget, and if you read some trip reports, you will see that people often post about costs of individual attractions, meals ets. Look up menupages and check out restaurant menus for ideas of cost. Don't forget prices will not include tax or tip.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 19:05
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Where are you staying and what specifically are you planning to do?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Once you have a metrocard, the City is at your feet. The expensive part of NYC is the accomodations, and after that there is lots that can be done on the cheap. Many places have free admission days - the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is fee on Saturdays before noon. Other great things to do cost nothing at all - walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, the Staten Island Ferry and neighborhood walks come to mind.

As to food, we have lots of choices for any budget. On the cheap end check out food carts, Chinatown, Indian Buffet lunches, and of course pizza. But, there are also many of the higher end restaurants that have a somewhat cheaper lunch to check out.

For traveling out of NY State, you can get cheap bus fare to Philly, Boston, or DC.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Hi,

I've booked a place to stay for 16 nights, but looking back on that would've liked to have stayed in boston,dc for a night. If you get up early enough is a day trip possible?

Thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

boston or dc is about a 4 hour bus ride one way. You would probably want to stay over night. i would take the long island railroad to the end of long island and check out montauk, hamptons, north fork.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

Kathleen - if you've rented illegal accomodation like an apartment - good luck. Hopefully you've booked a hotel for your stay.

Cascade, Idaho
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 16 days stay in brooklyn?

just want to clarify this illegal apartment thing..... some landlords convert apartments into temporary "hotel" lodging. they are not allowed to do this. but its more lucrative for them than just renting it out annually. so IF there was some sort of inspection by the city (during your 16 day visit) you could technically be removed from the apartment. the chances of this happening are very very slim. the hotel industry in NYC wants to stop this practice because they lose money but the city has a very hard time enforcing it. I know it sounds scary when posters throw the word "ILLEGAL" out there... but I doubt anything is going to happen.