We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to niagra falls

Vadodara
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
travel to niagra falls

will b in new york for a day in mid may, am travelling alone, would like to visit niagra falls...could someone help me with the best way to travel to niagra falls by oneself...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to niagra falls

You're only here for a day and want to go to Niagara Falls? Do you realize you can do this OR see NYC but not both? The only way to do it in a day is to fly. Fly from NYC to Buffalo, NY. Go to kayak.com and look for flights. You can pick up a tour at the Buffalo airport. For details look on the Buffalo or Niagara forums. The best views of the falls are from the Canadian side and depending on your passport, you may not be able to go and do that and return to the US.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to niagra falls

If you are only here for a day, you don't have any choices. You have to fly. JetBlue is well priced and offers multiple flights to Buffalo. When there, rent a car. Make sure you visit the Canadian side of the falls. Book a flight back around 7-8pm.

It is a long day and with only one day in NY, I wouldn't do it, but it is possible.

Vadodara
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to niagra falls

i mean to say i can spare a day for niagra falls...have extra half day for new york proper,,..

Vadodara
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to niagra falls

would us visa and a valid passport suffice to enter canada for the niagra falls view or one needs to take a separate visa??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to niagra falls

I don't believe a visa is required for Indian citizens, but you should check with your local Canadian embassy to make sure. The US visa has no bearing on the situation.

A half day is not sufficient to see NYC.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to niagra falls

Is this a joke? Why would you spend only 1 1/2 days in NYC? Why would you take a day to see Niagara Falls rather than seeing NYC?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to niagra falls

The Canadian government website indicates that citizens of India will need a visa to enter. Scroll down and you'll also see a list of which countries' citizens do not require a visa.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Vadodara
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to niagra falls

its not that i dont want to spend time in nyc...i have only one half to two days to spare in new york and would definitely want to visit niagra falls anyhow...are there any scenic beauty or adventure places in new yrk better than niagra?? could u suggest more scenic beauty or natural adventure places better than niagra???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to niagra falls

Natural adventure places? Do you expect to white water raft down the falls? (This is a joke. It's not allowed!) I'm sorry but I don't "get" your post. If you want some outdoor adventure, you can find some white water rafting just outside NYC.

http://www.hudsonriverrafting.com/

offmetro.com/ny/…

Going to see Niagara Falls involves NO adventure whatsoever apart from being with a lot of other tourists

Ireland
Level Contributor
926 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to niagra falls

Put Niagara (note spelling) in the search box above and read some previous threads on the subject of going there from New York City in a day. I think it's a crazy idea, but each to their own! Do you realise how far away it is? There is so much to see in New York, a half day is not enough to even do a tiny bit. You might just about have time to get the Staten Island ferry over and back to see the Statue of Liberty it in the distance and get to the ESB or TOTR, to say nothing of anything else in the city.