We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping taxi drivers?

Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping taxi drivers?

I read that it's common practice to tip 15% to taxi drivers. Why is it so? Aren't taxi drivers self employed?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
DC
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

Because. And it's 15%

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

No, they're usually not self employed. Most work for large agencies, because taxi medallions cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most drivers pay for the privilege of driving an agency cab. Your tips are all they make in salary.

15-20%. And if you're thinking of not tipping that much, please don't take a cab.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

Agree with the posts above. FEW cab drivers own the actual cab.

If you don't want to tip......take the subway!

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
409 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

You should be aware that very, very few taxi drivers are self employed in Australia either!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

Self-employed or not, they don't make very much money and put up with a lot of unfortunate encounters with passengers. Be nice. Tip.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

The majority of cabbies are self employed in that they do not work for the cab company ( which actually owns the vehicle and the medallion) but, rent the vehicle daily. So, before they even step foot in the cab they are dealing with vehicle rental, and gas.

You might enjoy this link

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/05/taxino…

AND I agree with others--if you are not prepared to tip--don't ride. This is the way it is done in NYC. If you want to do things the way it is done in your hometown--stay in your homtown.

Australia
Level Contributor
846 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

cheekyson

Just do it....you are only talking $1.50 - $1.80 for every $10. Cab rides in NYC are cheap compared to here in Australia and you will also have the benefit of better than dollar parity so it is not even worth quibbling about tipping.

Just about everything else is also cheaper compared to Australia so in the context of your whole trip expense the tips you pay while on holiday are not significant.

I know it's not how we do things in Australia but when in Rome etc etc.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

Try to drive in New York during rush hours and you will understand. I don’t know if taxi drivers actually own the car. I don’t think so because at least in New York most of them are recent immigrants. And also I don’t mind giving tips to taxi drivers. Actually, I think it is a good practice as it is when you go to a restaurant and give a generous tip to the waitress that brought the food to your table. Well, I think taking a cab is the same as if you were to a restaurant. Anyway, in other many US cities this is a common practice too. Please tip drivers; this traffic really deserves extra bucks for these guys.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

Hola.

We usually tip the driver at least 20%.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping taxi drivers?

rdgladly:

The link you posted was very insightful. I think everyone who has ever asked the question, "Why should I tip a cabbie" should read the article. The article was very clear on why you SHOULD tip and tip appropriately, without making you feel you HAVE to tip. Good article and thank you for posting.