We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days in NYC too long?

Currumbin, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
14 days in NYC too long?

We are travelling from Australia with 2 families both with teenage children, for the Christmas/New Year period.

I am wondering now before I book everything is 14 nights too long?

We are stopping off in Hawaii on the way home for about 11 nights for the relaxing part and the surfing.

Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

I spent 14 days in NYC with my parents in November 2010. There was still heaps I didn't see/do and I'm visiting for another 10 days at the end of next month (with my boyfriend this time and we're also visiting Washington and Boston for 2 days each).

If you're happy to spend the whole time in NYC, the cold weather doesn't bother you and your budget allows for the hotel (late Dec/early January is ok but over NYE prices skyrocket), you won't be short of things to see/do for 14 days.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

The 14 nights in NYC I can't see a problem with because there is heaps to see and do, but the 11 nights in Hawaii...that will be some relaxing break.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

I was there for 3 weeks and didn't see it all by any means.

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

If it's your first NYC visit then 14 days is great. I'd still spent 2 of those days in Washington DC. What's good about the 14 days is that if the weather is a bit dodgy then you still have plenty of time on your hands.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

All aussies answering!!

We spent 7 days there and only just scratched the surface, I would have liked another week or more. There's so much to see and do that 2 weeks is probably not enough!! Do it.. you won't regret it and you'll probably need those 11 days in Hawaii to recover, NYC is exhausting!!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

There is quite a bit to do in NYC. I live here and I am constantly discovering new things.

Here is an e-z list to start an itenerary-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

I am sure you will be able to easily fill your days and evenings -most people (as you are reading above) feel a week isn't enough.

Happy planning & (most importantly) Have Fun!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,123 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

There is plenty to do and see in NYC. Don't forget with 14 days you will have time to go to some of the other boros too. ( ie. Booklyn and Queens)

re: all Aussies answering--that is because when you posted most NYorkers were asleep!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

Most visitors completely miss all the wonderful things in Brooklyn and Queens. Hopefully with 14 days, you'll be able to do some of these things.

Smith Street in Brooklyn - the area between Atlantic Avenue and Carroll Street (along Smith Street) is so wonderfully delightful - great for dinner. It'll take you a day or two to full familiarize yourselves with the subway but once you do and once you realize how incredibly safe and secure it is, you'll feel comfortable exploring all the neighborhoods at night and having dinner in Brooklyn and taking the train back at 11:00PM. Trains are fast and frequent and very busy at 11:00PM but most first time visitors have preconceived notions from movies they saw in the 1980's so it takes them a few days to get comfortable.

Please let us know if you have specific questions. Everybody here will try to help you make the most of your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

I would find it very easy to spend 14 days in NYC but I am not so sure about teenagers. And especially in colder weather.

You have some very generous timeframes and I would suggest you consider taking a few days out to see something different. I would have suggested something in another part of the US like Yellowstone National Park or the Grand Canyon but I am not sure what the weather will be like. I assume it will be warmer the further south you head but I have not travelled to those parts so don't have any suggestions myself.

Also, before you book flights, have you checked you will have suitable accommodation? Apartments rentals are illegal for the most part if less than 30 days. NYE hotel prices will be expensive but they will be balanced by lower rates after the NY celebrations.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 14:34
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 days in NYC too long?

One of the good things about 14 days here is that you wont feel guilty if you need time to "rest and recuperate" (i.e., take a nap).

Have you looked into accommodations. Look into a HOTEL that has KITCHEN FACILITIES. Initially might be a bit more money (especially around the holiday - hotel rates can triple for NY Eve)....but having the kitchen and NOT going to a restaurant for breakfast (and having snacks available) -- it may come out fairly even as to whether you had gotten a NON-KITCHEN room and PAID for b'fast/snacks.......etc. You'll want something with good transportation nearby and a good supermarket!

I only know EASTGATE TOWER, I'm sure the "regulars" can advise. I would books something CANCELLABLE now (or soon), and then you can keep looking.