We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

I wanted to ask on the suitability of wearing Converse Allstars and similar style canvas shoes in New York City.

I read in many places that 'sneakers' particularly 'white sneakers' make are not commonly worn in New York City and make you stand out as a visitor.

I would call these (http://bit.ly/yiBUsW) trainers and these (http://bit.ly/ZczNvq) sneakers..

I suspect that the terminology might be used differently by others though. So I dont know if they are talking about Converse and similar.

So, are White or Maroonish-Red Canvas shoes fine to complete a Smart Casual Outfit?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

A smart outfit? No. An outfit for touring around and being comfortable, yes. The Second ones are a bit more on trend but I don't think they'd be considered "smart." Black or colors are more fashionable amongst the younger set.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,259 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

I too would call the pair in the 1st picture "trainers" and the second picture "sneakers".....Converse sneakers(2nd photo) are very popular shoes....especially with teens, young adults(male and female).................my teenage daughter and her friends wear them quite bit, with jeans, shorts, dresses.......

Edited: 28 April 2013, 21:34
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

Have reread your question and yes, I get the distinction you're making. Those Converse all stars are popular but in white, they're good for sporty wear with shorts, jeans etc., but not good for going out at night and looking "smart." In a color or black, they might pass but if you're going to a club with a no sneaker policy, they would be included in that policy.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

Not a smart outfit, a Smart-Casual outfit..

nyc
Level Contributor
473 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

You are going to be fine wearing whatever you feel most comfortable in for almost every situation.

However, Converse are considered sneakers and if there is a dress code of no sneakers, you'll have to change your shoes.

Very few places have a dress code.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

Both photos in the original photos are what Americans would call sneakers. "Trainers" in the U.S. are people who coach you at the gym, not shoes. For the purpose of any dress code (at a restaurant or a nightclub, for example), there is no distinction between the two shoe styles pictured.

Americans (at least the people I talk to) also don't use the word "smart" to describe clothes or degrees of fanciness, and even if we did, I doubt there would be a consensus on what exactly "smart" and "smart casual" mean. I think you would get the best help if you told people where you want to wear the pictured shoes. They would be fine in some places and not in others.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

If you want to be "fashionable" I'd opt for black not white tennis shoes. White tennis shoes are usually worn by middle aged Midwesterners and are decidedly NOT cool. Think jeans shorts, and Ohio State University tee shirt, and a camo ball cap...that's what I'd wear with white tennis shoes ;))

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

Neither are fashionable. However, the "sneakers" are better but it also matters the rest of the outfit. Nice jeans or pants, esp. with "interesting" socks and shirt/tie, etc. might be cool but you have to have a fashion sense. If you plan to wear them with sweat pants, boring jeans or other plain clothing, I say no.

Well, technically, you can wear whatever you want in NYC. We have so many tourists, in one sense, anything goes. But NYC is also a fashionable city with many well dressed men and women (even casually) that if you want to look good, skip the canvas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

Instead of "smart casual," we say "business casual" here in the States. Business casual means that sneakers of either type would be inappropriate, as would jeans, tank tops, T-shirts, shorts, flip flops, baseball caps, etc. Most venues in NYC do not have a formal dress code, although nicer restaurants would prefer (but not insist) that you dress appropriately. In general, it's not going to be as big of a deal as you're anticipating.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing Converse Allstars in New York City

Well, overall, no one's really going to care unless you are planning to dine high-end. The most important part is, are they comfortable for long walks on concrete?