We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

We are travelling from Philly to Hudson to look around the valley for a few days, then heading to NYC. Was thinking of hiring a car to travel from Philly to Hudson, look around the valley then drop it off somewhere on the way to NYC but avoiding traffic - we can catch a train into NYC itself from wherever we drop the car off.

Or would it be better to train/bus it from Philly to Hudson, hire a car in Hudson to look around, drop off car in Hudson then train/bus it to NYC from there?

Or any other suggestions?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

I can't exactly answer your question but by "Hudson" do you mean the "Hudson Valley"? I don't think there's a direct train route from Philly to anywhere in the Hudson Valley -- I think you'll need to get into Manhattan first which would suggest a different plan.

But what do I know about the Hudson Valley? I live in New Jersey./

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

Hudson, NY is a city along the Hudson River about half way between Poughkeepsie and Albany. When people tour around the Hudson Valley, they don't necessarily include the city of Hudson and it may not be the best base for you.

Is there a particular reason you chose Hudson, NY as your base destination? How many days are you planning on spending in the Hudson Valley?

One problem with driving from Philly and dropping off the car somewhere in the hudson valley is that drop off fees, and your base daily rate may be quite high.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

I would agree that renting a car is the way to go. You will definitely pay drop off fees, but they probably won't be more than the cost of the train. I would look at dropping the car off at Poughkeepsie -- there are a number of car rental places near the train station. White Plains would be another option.

And don't rule out a visit to Hudson, NY! It has some great antique shops, restaurants, and my favorite book store/pub, the Spotty Dog Books and Ale. But, I agree it is not the best base for the entire Hudson Valley. I would check out Rhinebeck instead.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

Thanks for your replies. Initially we were going to have 6 days in the Hudson valley, but have changed our plans to only stay 2 nights then head to NYC. A flying visit, but I haven't been to NYC before and want to do a reconnaissance mission for a future trip with our 5 kids. We had already booked accommodation in Hudson, so have just kept that booking. The drop off fees for cars didn't seem all that much really, so sounds like car hire in Philly, then drop off in White Plains or Poughkeepsie. Thanks so much for your help everyone!

By the way, LivesinNJ, funny you should say "what do I know?" as just the other day I spoke to someone here who was from NJ and asked him about the Hudson Valley and he looked at me blankly as if he had never heard of it! He didn't know what I was talking about! I had only just met him so politely ended the conversation there.... I'll make sure I don't judge NJ folk from that meeting though ;)

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

Thats funny because the extreme Northwestern part of NJ is served by Hudson Valley Stations.

6. Re: Car hire or train/bus from Philly to Hudson then onto NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:17