We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Topic
Beach

Hi All. We are staying in Upper East Side for 8 days. We would love to go to the beach. I'm hearing of Rockaway/Long Island are they worth a visit do you think? We're from London so another city so we'd love to see some sand! We are coming in hot August. Advice appreciated. How long is the subway ride too please. We're staying in Museum Mile. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Upper East Side
Upper East Side
229 Reviews
New York City, NY
Museum Mile
Museum Mile
49 Reviews
New York City, NY
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,780 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach

Rockaway is the nearest 'nice' beach to Manhattan, and the community is still recovering from last year's hurricane, so it could use your support. The trip is simple: take the A train to Beach 116th Street. The A train isn't running there yet, but the MTA says it'll be doing so by late summer. If it isn't running, you take the 2 train to the end of the line at Brooklyn College and then take the B35 bus. Both routes should take about 75-80 minutes. Rockaway has a burgeoning hipster community around 97th Street and a more traditional public family beach higher up.

Fire Island is the closest real 'resort' area, a gorgeous barrier beach out on Long Island. It's prettier and nicer than Rockaway but also farther away; about 2.5 hours each way on a combination of the Long Island Railroad and ferries.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Fire Island
Fire Island
Long Island, NY
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach

Hola.

We have lived on Fire Island for 30+ years during the warmer months and quite often commute back and forth to our offices in the City as the trip from the ferry dock to the office is about 2-2½ hours.

Fire Island is located about 4 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean off the south shore of Long Island; it runs east-west for approximately 35 miles parallel to Long Island and together they form the Great South Bay. Fire Island is comprised of about 20 communities, each having its own personality. The entire Island is within the National Seashore System and there are sand dunes, forests, deer, rabbits, foxes, raccoons, bird sanctuaries, and 10s of thousands monarch butterflies that migrate between Mexico and Canada.

The Atlantic coast beaches are the most pristine on the east coast of the USA. Most private cars are not allowed on the Island and consequently folks walk or take water taxis.

Visitors to Fire Island that we know generally head to Sailors Haven, Cherry Grove and/or The Pines (ferries from Sayville) where there are facilities, snack bars, groceries, restaurants, bars, clubs and/or discos. All three are within 20-45 minutes walking distance from each other; or you can take a water taxi in much less time.

Unless you have a boat, Sailors Haven only has day facilities, a snack bar and a nature museum (run by the Park Service) but also has a life guard. The Sunken Forest is also at Sailors Haven.

Cherry Grove and The Pines have facilities bathrooms, showers, swimming pools, etc. at the local hotels but some may charge to use them. As well there are some good restaurants and groceries at the Pines and Cherry Grove, but no life guards. The Grove and Pines also have some very nice hotels and guest houses.

Please know that the beach at Sailors Haven is a very family-centered “clothed” beach while The Pines and Cherry Grove beaches are more “clothing optional” with a European flair, though this is generally truer of the Grove than The Pines.

The LIRR provides special (discounted) rates starting next month around Memorial Day for day trippers that provide a round trip package for the train, transfers from the train to the ferry and the ferry rides:

www.mta.info/lirr/getaways/Beach/index.htm

And for more general information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Island

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 29 April 2013, 20:45
Mentioned in this post
The Sunken Forest
The Sunken Forest
62 Reviews
Fire Island, NY
Fire Island
Fire Island
Long Island, NY
United States
United States
North America
The Atlantic
The Atlantic
112 Reviews
Southampton, NY
The National
The National
972 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,223 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach

There arent many hotels on the UES. Which one are you using? I ask because I'm hoping you've not booked an illegal apt.

Long Beach is just east of the Rockaways and is accessible on a commuter train (Long Island Railroad) .

mta.info/lirr/getaways/Beach/LongBeach.htm

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach Island
Long Beach Island
Jersey Shore, NJ
O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach

thank you all noted

New York City
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach

Rockwaway beach is a Dump , Dont go there

I Personally like Robert Moses State Park (Fire Island) which can be reached by LIRR train to Babylon and Bus to Beach. There is also a nice Lighthouse to see

I used to go to Jones Beach, but I found that Robert was nicer. Bust Jones Beach is closer

Also Long Branch and Sandy Hook in NJare really nice beaches (NJ Transit)

Mentioned in this post
Robert Moses State Park
Robert Moses State Park
156 Reviews
Fire Island, NY
Fire Island
Fire Island
Long Island, NY
Robert
Robert
1,385 Reviews
New York City, NY
O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach

HHmm Fire Island sounds great but we would need somewhere cheap to stay over. Will have to look into cheap hotels...

Mentioned in this post
Fire Island
Fire Island
Long Island, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach

Of course, lots of trains head out to Coney Island. Yes the beach can be crowded, and yes it is not pristine, but there is a great energy there along with great people watching. And, when you are through beaching, you can head to Nathans [after it reopens], Totonnos or Brighton Beach for food. Or...take a ride on the Cyclone or Wonder Wheel.

But for swimming, I normally head to Riis Park. I normally drive or bike, but here are directions from public transportation: 2 (or 5 at rush hour) to Flatbush Avenue, then take the Q35 bus to the park or A or S to Rockaway Park then Q35 or Q22 bus to the park.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton Beach
Brighton Beach
367 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Flatbush Avenue
Flatbush Avenue
49 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach

Another alternative for a day trip to the beach is to take the ferry from lower Manhattan to Sandy Hook National Seashore. The beach should be open for your trip. Here's the website:

nps.gov/gate/parknews/sandy-hook-reopens-to-…

Here's the website for the direct ferry. Details for this summer aren't posted yet but you could contact NY Waterway about their plans.

http://www.nywaterway.com/sandyhook.aspx

Mentioned in this post
NY Waterway
NY Waterway
109 Reviews
New York City, NY
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach

I was looking to start a thread asking for opinions on which beach to visit for the day, but following a search I I found someone has already asked!

I'll be travelling by myself at the start of June and have heard Long Beach, Coney Island or Rockaway Beaches are the closest options.

I'm not really interested in the sea or waterparks, as I can't swim! But a nice beach (I'm also from London), nice surroundings and maybe a few things to see/do if I get bored of sitting on the beach would be ideal.

I'll be staying in the Hilton Time Square for 5 nights and then the Conrad in LM for 3 nights (just to put it out there that I'm not going to be staying in illegal apartments!) so I'm not sure if it's easier to get to one of these beaches using public transport from Times Square or LM.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,349 Reviews
New York City, NY
Long Beach Island
Long Beach Island
Jersey Shore, NJ
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,780 Reviews
New York City, NY
Time Square Apartments
Time Square Apartments
27 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach

Coney Island is not a nice beach. It is a fun, entertaining 'amusement pier' experience with a largely crowded and dirty beach.

Rockaway (from 116th-149th Streets for the beach, but between 90-100 streets for hipster dining) is nicer, but it's still in Queens, which freaks howardform out; he's pretty reliably recommended that people stay out of Queens for as many things as possible. I disagree, of course. Long Beach is nicer still, but there's very little to do there other than the beach. They're all easy to get to: Coney Island by train, Rockaway by subway and bus, and Long Beach by hourly LIRR train from Penn Station.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Long Beach Island
Long Beach Island
Jersey Shore, NJ