We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

Hi everyone,

Well, I am currently planning a surprise 40th birthday trip for my husband in late September.

After several discussions with the experts on this forum (thank you!), I narrowed my hotel choice down to the London NYC and the Trump International. I was leaning toward the London NYC until quite a few negative reviews recently popped up noting the service.

So, I decided on a one bedroom city suite at the Trump International, but have also been looking at the Chatwal (junior suite) as another possibility.

Just wondering if anyone would recommend one over the other? The Trump one bedroom suite has a nice view of Columbus Circle, and is 700 sq ft. The Chatwal is close to Times Square, boutique, but the junior suite is smaller. We will be going shopping, to the theatre, to the MET and Central Park. We will be catching a train to Boston on a Sunday afternoon. I want something lovely, but not trendy. We are now too old for that scene! :)

I am never usually this indecisive, but it is my husband's 40th, and I want it to be perfect for him! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

I have no experience of either hotel, but with regard to location I would definitely opt for Trump International. The location of the Trump would be far more relaxing, yet with immediate access to the MET and Central Park and with a short walk to Fifth Avenue shops and to the theatre district.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

I don't know them either, but locationwise I too would opt for the Trump .... closer to Upper West Side as well ^_^

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

Both hotels have great service but the smallness of the Chatwal and the fact that they have a butler for each room may make the service there just that bit better. It is closer to theaters so depends on how many shows you intend seeing. Their bathrooms are also quite spectacular and large.

The space at the Trump as you know is much bigger. If you were going to get a park view suite at Trump, that would make the decision for me. As it stands, I still prefer space, floor to ceiling windows, the location at Central Park and the idea of having a separate bedroom and sitting room--so Trump would be my preference. I also think since you've already stayed at one Trump hotel you might be seen as a return visitor. If you go with Trump, make sure they know it's a special birthday and you might get an upgrade. But the Chatwal comes off as more exclusive, newer (bathrooms more modern and much bigger) and closer to theaters.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

Thanks everyone. I am now settled. It's the Trump International.

NY Whiz, thanks for your patience, and all your amazing advice and posts about this! I opted for the city view suite because the park view suite was just too expensive for me for three nights. Plus, I think my husband will like to see all the city lights, especially as we missed out on that last time. It is $1000 more than the London NYC for three nights, but it is more important to me that it is a perfect three days in New York for his birthday. The service at the Trump was exceptional. And, as Illyria and Meyem note, we will get to explore the UWS a little more (and go to the Levian bakery more than once!).

Thanks again! :)

Florida
Level Contributor
640 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

I definitely vote for Trump. When you check in, you might sweetly mention to the check-in representative that it is your husband's birthday and wonder if they might be able to give you an upgrade to a park view if any rooms are available. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but you'll never know unless you ask.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

Thanks for the tip! :) And thanks to everyone for helping me decide once and for all. I promise, no second thoughts now! I just want to make sure everything is extra perfect for my husband. Thanks again.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,857 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

I completely agree with Trump...the Chatwal, while maybe has nicer rooms, really had quite a small, claustrophobic lobby in the middle of the theater district. At Trump you have the park, Columbus circle, Lincoln Center as your neighbors - just so much more "breathing room", but still with easy access to anywhere you want to go.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

Now I am even more excited about the trip, and the hotel! Last time we were in SoHo, and didn't get anywhere near enough time to explore the UWS and Central Park. I am looking forward to doing that in September. Thanks Warmwinds.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,857 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

Oh, you stayed at Trump Soho? I thought you were returning to CPS/CC. You MUST have a meal at Jean-Georges, and Robert, and Asiate...the latter two should satisfy any "park view" cravings you have. So close to so many museums...I am truly envious.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I keep changing my mind! Chatwal vs Trump International

IMO any hotel with a view of Central Park is a winner. Even a few on fifth avenue are quite delux. The air

in that part of New York is bit cleaner and has the sweet smell of success.