We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
725 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

We have a lunch reservation at The Nougatine next week and would like a recommendation for where to have a glass of wine afterwards?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

Well IN the park there's the Loeb Boat House which has casual outdoor tables overlooking the lake or a bar and tables and sofas inside.

http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/

Around the park (the way Nougatine is just outside the park), the lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental hotel is across from Nougatine and has very nice views. There are other restaurants with bars inside the Time Warner building where the MO is (different entrance for MO vs. the other restaurants). Bouchon Bakery, Landmarc etc. have bars.

localeats.com/r/…

The Empire hotel is also not far and they have a restaurant and bar.

http://goo.gl/maps/M3K0s

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
908 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

everywhere, all you need is a blanket

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

Please note however that drinking alcohol in the park Is actually illegal.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
725 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

Thanks!

The boat house looks great. I guess that we can't book a table just for drinks there?

Mandatin Oriental is another great recommendation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

You can't book a table for drinks at the Boat House but if you want to sit inside (which is quite pretty) there should be no problem finding a spot mid afternoon.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
725 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

Thank you Whiz! Hope to be lucky to get an outside table. The weather forecast for next week seem to be good!

Another question. Any good recommendation for a rooftop bar? Conrads "Loopy Doopy" looks nice but are looking for a nice pre-musical cocktail spot. 230 fifth perhaps?

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

The Boathouse is indeed your only real choice inside the park. Not describing The Boathouse, we were recently told (at The Half King, just below the High Line on W 23 St) that we had to order food if we sat anywhere but the rail of the bar, which was completely full. As I often say here, "Real Estate" values affect a lot of New York City life ... ....

Two other ideas at the perimeter of the park are the recently reviewed Center Bar in Time Warner Center

nytimes.com/2013/…

and the expensive but lovely bar at Marea, a +$100 p.p. restaurant at 240 Central Park South. Center Bar has the advantage of not being primarily a restaurant, although NYC liquor license-holders are required to serve some food.

nyc
Level Contributor
510 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

The met museum also has a bar on the roof deck that is quite lovely if its a nice day. Once your up there it feels like you are in central park and maybe technically you are.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

I'm sorry I forgot the Met rooftop sculpture garden. However, I swore I would never drink there again after they refused to refill my just-emptied $12 cocktail cup with tap water. The offered to sell me a bottle of Poland Spring. Their "excuse" was that they don't have plumbing at the bar. I should have responded with a Health Inspector to check their hands for cleanliness ...

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good spot for a drink in Central Park?

Can't beat the romance of the Boathouse, does get crowded

Maybe drop into Whole Foods at Time Warner Center, get vino and victuals, dine all fresco- need a blanket or park bench. Very close to Nougatine I second your lunch choice it is a good value, delish!