We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

Dublin
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

Hi,

I am travelling to NYC and Virginia in June from Ireland and i was looking into buying a prepaid sim for the duration of my trip (14 days) I was looking at the $3 a day T-mobile plan for my iPhone 5.

How does this work?

From what i gathered you have to pay for a sim (in ireland there free)

Then do you top up your account say $30 and then $3 a day is taken off.

Can i just go into a t mobile shop and buy a sim card and top up and is there any other fees?

Thanks

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

I wonder if you can find this online - although often overseas, a website may have different content. This is called a Prepaid plan here-most of the carriers offer it. I have it as a cheapskate. I bought mine online, with a fancy smartphone, but there were lots of cheap phones too. At the worst, you can go into a big chain drugstore (or probably Staples or Office Depot) and buy a non-smartphone with a prepaid plan. You cannot call Europe on a US prepaid plan, or if you can, it would be impossibly expensive.

The question is whether you're satisfied with a phone that can't web-browse. I'll guess that you can get this from a T-Mobile "store", but their real money-makers are Monthly (i.e. post-paid) plans. So maybe when they hear your accent, they'll ask for ID. (I'm talking about the rare cases when national security might be a factor in cellphone sales, not talking about bias or anything like that ... )

I do not believe that you can buy such a phone and move the SIM to your own phone handset. Even if you use one of the few US carriers with GSM, the plan is usually tied to the phone, which is "locked". (I'm not an expert on this) T-Mobile does advertise Prepaid for your own phone, but that is an internet offer. I'm dubious about why a company store would sell it (and not get $$$ for a handset sale!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

I'm a bit confused to what obsoperator is saying.

Getting a prepaid sim for your own phone is fine. I've got one and have used it for many years!!

As long as your iPhone is unlocked you'll be able to get a nano sim and then use it.

Down side is that outside of certain major metro areas you won't get 3G speeds and it will drop down to edge.

M

Edited: 01 May 2013, 22:35
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

The more I read obsoperator post I'm just shocked.

There are so many incorrect statements and judgements even for residents it's just a bit crazy and as they've said they're not an expert! They also know very little about what's available.

I've called the UK each and every time I've visited the US on my prepaid sim...

I'm too tired to deconstruct everything else.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 22:46
4. Re: T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 03:20
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

I am in New York at the moment and been using the T Mobile $2 prepaid plan. I purchased the card from Australia before I left for $28? something like that.

I have been here a week and had pretty good coverage in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I have been using google maps and texting pretty heavily. I made one international call and needed to top up after that but the total spend for 8 days has been $20

I would do this again. It's easy and it works

6. Re: T-Mobile 1 Day Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:16