We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conflicting reports ?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Conflicting reports ?

We are set to spend 3 nights in early July. Tickets are bought, now to book a hotel. We have been to NYC 3 times but have never been to the Korean section. I see that NYMA is a hotel with manageable prices and good reviews . Most reviews state that it is just a 5- 10 minutes walk from Macy's and the Empire state building.( 6 W 32nd street). I was about to book a room and read the most recent review complaining that it wasn't close to anything unless you like Korean food.. So which is it? Close enough and in good enough area to feel safe walking at night? Or, too far into Koreatown to be manageable for the average tourist?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conflicting reports ?

You could use the Google maps 'get directions' function to work out how far the hotel is to the sites you've planned to visit...it gives you the option of finding out how to get to a place (and how long it will take) by both public transport or by foot. It's a really nifty little tool

Edited: 01 May 2013, 22:31
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,635 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Conflicting reports ?

I think you have a misconception about what it means to be "too far into Koreatown." Koreatown isn't on the outskirts of anything, it's smack dab in the middle of midtown. So, yes, it is a 5-10 minute walk from both Macy's and the ESB. It is also right in the middle of Little Korea. But, like much of New York, if you walk three blocks, you'll find yourself somewhere completely different.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conflicting reports ?

The "Korean" section is very small, mostly just one block on W. 32 St bet. 5 & 6th ave. You should be fine. They do speak English! The area is quiet and safe, but, yes, not many restaurants but if you walk a bit you can get good food.

Level Contributor
351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conflicting reports ?

While you're there, try one of the Korean restaurants. The ones with the grill in the middle of the table can be fun and you can make the food as spicy as you like.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conflicting reports ?

It is close to Macy's and the ESB and IN Koreatown which is basically a block or two. It's not a particularly attractive area imo but it is convenient for getting around. I think there are usually better options and early July is usually a good time for sales. Looking on kayak, it looks like you can get the Helmsley Park Lane for the same price!

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conflicting reports ?

Thanks! I do have a misconceptions about the placement of it, for sure.. Even though this will be our 4th trip to NYC, Manhattan is a really big place and they were short trips also... So... , so far we have only visited the really touristy places. This trip , I would love to explore more neighborhood and eat some really good food ( though not expensive).. Any opinions as to preference for NYMA or Hyatt Place ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conflicting reports ?

They're in the same area which is not a place to explore neighborhoods OR great food. The best food in Manhattan is in the east village, lower east side. Look at the Wyndham Garden Chinatown. I cant believe you didn't check out the Helmsley Park Lane. What are your exact dates and what tickets did you buy?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conflicting reports ?

Thanks, I have just checked out Helmsley place and it is now high on my list. Will now check out Wyndham Chinatown... We will be there July 6th thru 9th. Should have clarified... Plane tickets..... Thanks....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conflicting reports ?

Manhattan is not that large and you can easily get to most neighborhoods and eat whatever you want. As NYWHiz said, many "areas" in NYC are only 2 or 3 blacks, and then you are in another area. Its rather concentrated, actually.You don't need to select a hotel based on where you want to eat. Its easy to walk around in Manhattan and rather safe, so you can walk between areas. Or take the subway. Or a bus.

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conflicting reports ?

We stayed in the NYMA in January and for the price this is an excellent hotel.

It IS close to ESB literally a 2 minute walk, Macy's is 5 minutes and Times Square about 10 minute walk. We walked to Times Square virtually every day on our stay so easily manageable, and for further afield destinations there's a subway stop at the end of the street and 34th street subway 2 mins away, from which you can get pretty much everywhere.

The only downside we found to this hotel was the decor was a bit dated, but as we weren't on the rooms for that long, and when we were we were asleep we didn't find it a problem, I'd rather pay less for a room and have more money for going out.