We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

Hi,

I am thinking about staying in nyc for 3 nights at the end of May. I ve been looking at several hotels

and I am split between two hotels: The Grand Hyatt or the Conrad NYC.

The prices are really close (around 300 dollars a night) the Conrad looks like a really nice place to stay but I am worried about the location. The Hyatt looks cool but not as nice as the Conrad. Although the location seems to be better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

Hi, we stayed at Conrad in 2005 which was Embassy suite then. We liked the hotel well enough with free drinks during happy hours as special deal at the time. The location however is not great. It's a bit far from most things. There are not many restaurants/cafe around it either. So if you want to have nice late meals you have to plan ahead.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

The Hyatt is, imo, los of things "cool" is not one of them. There hare dozens of cool hotels. It's a corporate hotel in a busness area. What are you coming to do?

Morristown, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

I've stayed at both hotels are both are very nice. I love the new renovations that the Grand Hyatt recently completed. And you can't beat their location. You are right in the heart of the city and directly next to Grand Central, so you can easily get straight to downtown shopping, great restaurants, or quickly up to Central Park and Museums on the Upper East Side

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

I'd choose Hyatt solely based on location and service. I've stayed here multiple times and haven't ever been disappointed. The location is key - it's connected to Grand Central Terminal, so there are multiple subway lines right there (you don't even have to go outside to get the subway), and you can access any part of Manhattan easily. It's also an easy walk to Empire State Building, Bryant Park, New York Public Library, and Times Square. The service is great, the beds are wonderful (I'm thinking about purchasing one, ha), and I'm pretty sure all the guest rooms were recently renovated.

ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

We just stayed at the Conrad last week. We had been warned on Tripadvisor that the location was not the best and have to agree. Each day involved a trek to and from the hotel to the neighbourhood we wished to visit. It took too much time travelling to return to the hotel to change before the theatre. The room at the Conrad was modern and clean. We had drinks and food one evening after returning from the theatre in the bar and found the service to be terrible. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant, choosing instead to pick up breakfast at a Pick A Bagel nearby and eat it in our room. We would not choose this hotel again.

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

I am not a fan of the Grand Hyatt but, at $300 per night that is a good price, and yes the location is good. If you choose the hotel make sure you grab a quick lunch in the Grand Central Oyster Bar, sit at the counter only. Classic old NY. Have fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

Hands down the Grand Hyatt New York is the way to go. Between the unbeatable service and prime location you cannot go wrong!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

Do you work for Hyatt Ashley?

Level Contributor
351 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

There are more restaurants near the Conrad than there used to be. North End Grill is a new favorite of mine, there's a shake shack, and Blue Smoke BBQ (all owned by Danny Meyer). There's also a Payard bakery nearby as well. If the OP has sightseeing planned for downtown (like WTC) the location is very good. It's also very close to the river and the jogging paths if OP is looking for outdoor fitness. As far as getting to and from the subway--it is a bit of a shlep and not made easier by the WTC construction. If you really want to be in "the middle of things", opt for the Hyatt. If you get stressed out by hustle and bustle, the Conrad makes a nice sophisticated option.

10. Re: Grand Hyatt or Conrad NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:18