We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

Do drug store in NYC (Manhattan, Upper West side, or elsewhere) have automatic blood pressure measuring machines that anyone can use? If so, one of us will not need to bring our own machine.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,863 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

Why don't you call the Duane Reade closest to your hotel and ask? They seem to be on every other corner (and there's a store locator on their website). But if you have a home device that you know to be accurate, I think I would bring it since you never know if a store one will be out of order, off-caliber, etc.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

They sure do. Just about EVERY drug store has them. You can even get one at Brookstone(several locations.) But a Duane Reade will have it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

I think there's some confusion on whether you're aksing about to BUY or to use. I think SOME drugstores have them to use. They'll all have them to buy but they're not cheap. I would NOT worry about having to go to a drugstore (and finding one) every time you need to measure. Either bring your one from home or buy one here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

Sorry for not being clear. I was asking about the type that is available for anyone to use in the store. In Toronto many of the stores have one that anyone can go into and measure their blood pressure themselves. We have a home blood pressure kit, but it would be simpler if we could avoid bringing it with us.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

And I will repeat, I don't know what's involved with bring your one from home but I would not want to worry about finding a drugstore with one available. Some have them but many don't. If you have an iphone there's an app you can buy that turns the phone into a monitor.

https:/…

Here's an easy portable one

amazon.com/Panasonic-EW3109W-Portable-Pressu…

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

So your going to run out in the morning to test?

That should make the #s go up.

What is so difficult as to caring such a small apparatus?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

Thanks for the info. We will use the drugstores. Mrs Donard wants to monitor her BP a couple of times during our visit.

We are the type of people that travel lightly (3 weeks in Australia with cabin baggage only), so avoid bringing anything we do not need.

Also, we have one of the cheaper rooms at our hotel, and everyone describes it as very small. The machine might take up a lot of our space :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

They are not easy to find. I've not seen one in the past couple of years. I do wish my local Duane Reade had one, would be very useful.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

I believe CVS has them. Omron is the one I have. You can get the battery operated automatic inflation, you can also get the wrist monitor though I can NOT vouch for how good it is. You should be able to find them next to the pharmacy department. But the are varying prices from about $40-50 up to a little over $100. Other brands may be cheaper. I have traveled WITH my own. I keep it in carry-on.

I believe any medical supply (retail) would have them, but they'll be more money there.

Almost forgot, CVS usually has a machine where you can test your own bp for free. All stores may not necessarily have them. You might have to go to a few drugstores (CVS, and other) to find the free test.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 05:22
10. Re: Do drug stores in NYC have blood pressure measuring machines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 06:17