We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable and nice place for dinner

Bentonville, AR
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable and nice place for dinner

Four of my college students and I are headed to NYC next weekend because they are finalists in a national marketing challenge. I want to take them some place nice and memorable, but not outrageous for dinner. I am thinking about $50-60 per person.

Many of them have never been to NYC, so I wanted to treat them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

You are going to have more choices than you know what to do with. I'm a huge fan of getting out of the touristy areas. I hate eating at overpriced places that serve mediocre food and cater to a revolving door of tourists where there is little or no incentive to provide a quality experience or good service - there will be a complete turnover of the clientele by the following week.

We are going into spring time - the most beautiful time of year in New York City. There are some beautiful garden settings in some nice restaurants in neighborhoods where the primary clientele is local residents (and those from the surrounding area that are in the know)

I'm a huge fan of the garden at Cacio e Pepe on 2nd Avenue in the East Village - it is a delightful restaurant, very charming setting, lovely garden, good service, great food, reasonable prices.

Spina is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in NYC however the outdoor seating is on the street. The ambience inside the restaurant is great. The East Village is a great area where fewer tourists seem to make their way to.

There are a lot of choices. Are you looking for Mexican, Italian, French, Argentinean, anything in particular?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

You would have been easier asking us to give you the winning lotto numbers.

Personally, I love eating in Murray Hill. So many amazing restaurants available and all at really good prices for good quality food.

Give us an idea of what style of food and we can give you better ideas :-) But i do agree, don't eat in the tourist areas.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

Hola.

For a dinner celebration, if you want a GREAT experience, then we highly recommend the Gramercy Tavern as one of our neighborhood favorites; it is a community “institution” with a tremendous local following at 42 East 20th Street and it has excellent food and great wines, and even better beers. We eat there a few times a year (for many years) especially when we are celebrating a milestone.

For more information, see: http://www.gramercytavern.com

Note: While reservations are usually needed for seating in the Restaurant (which is more "dressy"), seating in the Tavern is first-come-first-served.

For dancing, we will let the younger crowd provide the advice.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

My most favorite restaurant is Spice Market in the Meatpacking District. It is a cool restaurant, $50-60 per person is doable without alcohol drinks. My favorites include the lobster; ginger fried rice and short ribs with noodles. The papadums are free and to die for. Plus, the Meatpacking district is a cool place to visit!

Bentonville, AR
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

Thanks for all of the great ideas.

Mclarenf1, yeah, I have been to NYC several times, and I knew trying to find a restaurant based on reviews in that price range would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

I'm open to any type of cuisine. The students don't like seafood.

I want to avoid chains and the standard tourist trap at Times Square.

More than anything, I am looking for some of your NYC favorites in this price range that would provide a memorable experience for my students who are worthy of celebration.

Thanks so much for the help.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

Well, you narrowed it down to roughly 11k. Is there a particular neighborhood you have in mind?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

What sort of food/atmosphere do you think they'd like? Tell us about them. Are they sophisticated? Nerds? What night are you going? Will there be just 5 of you?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

Can we assume these college students are under 21 and your price range does not include alcohol?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

There is a serbian restaurant in alphabet city called Kafana that is not at all tourist-y and serves excellent food within your price range. Highly recommended.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable and nice place for dinner

Consider focusing on really good, authentic Italian cuisine. It generally has wide appeal and many areas of the U.S. (e.g. the south) tend to have far inferior Italian restaurant options. In fact, the students may have little idea of what great Italian food is, and the variety of flavors and preparations.

I know a few forum members have some Italian favorites. Maybe they will chime in if you decide to go for that idea.