We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you're looking for something different to see

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
If you're looking for something different to see

For anyone looking for a show that's out of the ordinary I want to share something my wife and I just saw, Mark Nadler's off Broadway show at the York Theater about the music and era of Weimar Germany. Weimar was the period from the end of WW I until the rise of the Nazis and even if you've never heard of it you probably know something about it from the movie Cabaret. Nadler uses the music of this era to tell a story about the outsider in society, a story both very personal and very political. He's a real powerhouse performer who grabbed the audience by the throat within seconds and took over the stage from the moment he walked on. I found him riveting to watch as he told the history of Weimar and related it to his own somewhat improbable youth. It’s basically a one man show though accompanied by a violinist and an accordionist

Through May 19

yorktheatre.org/mark-nadler-im-a-stranger-he…

Discounts available at broadwaybox

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you're looking for something different to see

Sounds like an interesting show. Good to know, thanks

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you're looking for something different to see

I've just seen a few of the films at the Weimar Film Festival at MOMA - I Confess - early Hitchcock - was great. Some films from Germany - some here by directors who were forced to leave -- They are ending with Some Like it Hot tomorrow. (The play does sound interesting! Thanks!)

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you're looking for something different to see

Some Like It Hot is certainly a great movie but I don't know what it has to do with Weimar!

4. Re: If you're looking for something different to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:16