We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

We are making a trip to NYC in June and this time we plan to stay in Manhattan. We must choose from these hotels:

marriott.com/hotel-search/…

We would like to be walking distance to areas with nice 9though not necessarily expensive) bars and restaurants. A very safe neighborhood is desirable and it should be quiet. Walking distance to Chelsea, the Times Square area and maybe even the west village would be nice. Also ease of access by car is important. So far we are leaning toward Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea.

Any thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

Agree with your choice. The Manhattan/Fifth Avenue would be my next choice. The others are really quite far west.

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

Thanks for confirming my choice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

I disagree strongly. The block that hotel is on is really unattractive (kateoz, you might remember we passed there recently and I commented how awful it was); there's little to no decent nearby dining. Wanting to be within walking distance of all those disparate neighborhoods is not going to happen in any one location. The further west you go, the closer you are to the Hell's Kitchen restaurants. The Times Square location is not that far west betweeen 8th & 9th and closest to the restaurants along 8th & 9th aves. in the theater district. and it's not far from Port Authority with lots of subway connections as well as the Times Square subway station. The Fifth ave. location is the most attractive of these but not necessarily the best for nearby dining although not far from Grand Central and Bryant Park. But those would be my 2 picks from this list- Times Square or Fifth ave.

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

I don't want to start a war here! I like the location of the Fairfield Chelsea, because it's a little further south and appears to be close to the Chelsea area which we want to explore.

Also we LOVE to walk!

Edited: 07 May 2013, 16:33
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

No war. Just a difference of opinion.

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

I actually really like the look of the brand new Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station, but am concerned that it may be too close to Penn Station. Thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

Agree, whiz, that it's not an attractive block but so much is changing around there. The Breslin, Nomad, John Dory, The Ainsworth, Madison Square Park and Shake Shack are all very close walking distance. It's getting more interesting every day, around there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

The Penn Station one is much further from any interesting dining and is in a very unattractive area!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

We have the same decision to make and we thought about Renaissance New York hotel 57

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Fairfield or other Marriott hotel in Manhattan

Thanks Kateoz,

I don't really care if the block we stay on is unattractive, as long as it's safe and walking distance to dining, shopping etc.