We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

Pretty self explanatory question.

Some of the posts were from 2008 and before. Any updates? Should I just call hotels directly to get 2 queens/1 sofa??

All we want to do is empire sb, statue, museum nat history. But would like the kids to stay in the city to experience it. Ages are 15,13,10

NYC City pass good idea? I have bought it in other cities and it has worked well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

You've omitted a crucial piece of info: when are you coming to NYC?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

New york pass is generaly a bad idea , you often will find yourself visiting a place just because it was on the pass list , not because you wanted to see it originaly , make a list of what you do want to see ( all the entry costs are on there websites ) and see how it compares in prices.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

For your list, a City Pass would be a total waste of money.

Hotel help requires travel dates.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

Hotel prices fluctuate. Exact dates are needed to recommend hotels that could fit within your budget. $300 for a room for 5 in Manhattan is not realistic for many dates, but can be possible for others.

There are numerous hotels that can accommodate 5, but many of them cannot. Calling misc hotels requesting two queens and a sofa bed would not be the way to go. It would take lots of trial and error.

You may get some good suggestions from forum members if you provide your dates. You can also use general booking sites to at least identify hotels that have rooms for 5 within your budget, then read detailed descriptions to see which have the bed configuration you need.

florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

Sorry!

Our family of 5 will be there July 14-19

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

Though prices for smaller rooms can drop during summer, most of the prices for the limited number of family accommodations are fairly high for your dates. There are a few good options for ~$430/night. Hyatt Place Midtown South has 2 queens and a sofa. The Lombardy has a 1 br suite (2 queens plus sofa) and a kitchenette for about the same price. It's in a more interesting neighborhood. Both are with free cancellation.

It's possible that prices will come down, but July is a popular time for family travel to NYC, so the type of room you are looking for may stay high because demand may be high.

I'm mostly responding to bump this for NYWhiz to work her wonders. Think about whether you are willing to increase your budget.

new york
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

I have stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott Midtown East with 5 people. However, it is over your budget - $399 plus tax or $379 plus tax if you have AAA.

florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

Thanks....chris.p. for the info. I hope NYwhiz can give me some leads too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

No, I don't think you'll find anything for 5 people on those dates for $300 or less. The fact that you're not including a Fri/Sat doesn't help. The cheapest thing I saw was $375 plus tax for the Skyline hotel (2 queens plus sofabed) on their own website but when I went to recheck the price, it had jumped to $499!. They happen to have an indoor pool which would be a benefit in mid July when it's usually so beastly hot. On Expedia, there's a $424/night plus tax price for the Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square for a 1 bedroom suite with 2 double beds and sofabed if you prepay. I'm surprised how many places are fully booked for those dates. I'd book something quickly.

Other options

florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel room for $300 or less in NYC for family of 5??

Maybe because of the reopening of the statue