We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Running Out

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Time Running Out

My trip to New York City is nearly here!! I was so excited waiting patiently for our departure date and now its nearly on me I am panicking. I still have so much to organise and im worried the time will disappear.

I need to sit down and take time out and organise transport from JFK, complete an itinerary, organise insurance, walking shoes, money...eep!!

How do people manage all this organising? ?

May30th - June 4th!!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Running Out

Walking shoes and money should be your top priority. Having a completely organized itinerary is not essential (and many of us don't do that). Transport from JFK is easy. Just hop in a taxi, or follow public transport directions. Whatever you do, do not book a shuttle service!

Be sure you bring shoes you already have that you know are comfortable. It's fine to bring the new shoes as well, but you never know how your feet will react until you walk around in them for hours.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Running Out

2.5 weeks to my trip! I am an over-organiser by nature and my organising has been done by:

Transport from JFK - will be armed with public transport directions but more than likely, after almost 24hrs of travel time from Australia, we'll just get a cab.

Itinerary - have been doing this along the way over the past few months using guidebooks, Google maps, TA forum, a spreadsheet and a calendar. It helps that I have plenty of free time at work to research and tinker with it ;) it's by no means set in stone though, and we have plenty of free time.

Insurance - I buy it as soon as I book flights.

ESTA - organised well in advance.

Money - got 90% of our money on a travel card at the start of this year when the Aus-USD retail rate was almost $1.02. Will get the rest in cash the week before we leave.

Walking shoes - possibly the only thing I haven't organised yet. Need to buy a pair asap!

Edited: 07 May 2013, 23:36
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Running Out

You should buy insurance as soon as you have booked flights. Coverage starts at that time so if anything happens to you in the lead-up to your trip you are covered.

As for the rest, well, that's a personal decision. I spend months and months researching what to do and what's on until I come up with a list of things I plan to see on a trip. I am sure people that do little to no planning have a good a time as I do.

You also said "our". Unless the other person is a child, divide the tasks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Running Out

I could never wait until the last few weeks to organise all those things! I'm an over planner too.

But with the ESTA I usually wait until a few weeks before I go because they last 2 years from the date of authorisation and if I plan another trip within the 2 years I already have it.

I suggest buying walking shoes way ahead of time and wear them in. There's nothing worse than walking around getting blisters.

Another thing to check in the last week or so is mta.info if you are planning on taking the subway from the airport.

Also check the weather in the last week or so to make sure you have the right clothes packed.

Have a great trip!

5. Re: Time Running Out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 05:16